About the Health, safety & environment test
The CITB Health, safety & environment (HS&E) test helps to raise standards across the industry and ensures workers have a minimum level of health, safety and environmental awareness before going on site
The HS&E test should be used as a stepping stone for employers and their workforce to develop their knowledge even further.
The HS&E test
All tests last for 45 minutes and have 50 multiple-choice questions including:
- 12 behavioural case study questions about how you should behave on a construction site to stay safe
- 38 knowledge questions to check your awareness of health, safety and environment issues.
Different tests have been developed to meet the demands of different trades and professions. You will need to make sure that you take and prepare for the right one.
If you are taking the CITB Health, safety and environment test to gain a card for access to construction sites please ensure you have checked the scheme requirements to apply for a card to ensure you are booking the correct level of test. Please click here for information on different card schemes available
The following tests are available:
1. Operative Test - including the behavioural case studies and the five core knowledge sections:
- Legal and management
- Health and welfare
- General safety
- High risk activities
2. Specialist Test - including the behavioural case studies, five core knowledge sections and relevant specialist knowledge questions from one of the following activities:
- Supervisory (SUP)
- Demolition (DEM)
- Plumbing or gas (PLUM)
- Highway works (HIW)
- Specialist work at height (WAH)
- Lifts and escalators (LAEE)
- Tunneling (TUNN)
- HVACR - Heating and plumbing services (HAPS)
- HVACR - Pipefitting and welding (PFW)
- HVACR - Ductwork (DUCT)
- HVACR - Refrigeration and air conditioning (RAAC)
- HVACR - Services and facilities maintenance (SAF)
3. Managers and Professionals Test – including the behavioural case studies, five core knowledge sections and relevant specialist knowledge questions from the following activities:
- Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- Plumbing or gas
- Highway works
All HS&E tests cost £17.50 and vouchers can be bought in advance and used to pay for the test.
Tests taken in corporate facilities cost £30.00 and vouchers cannot be purchased in advance.