Apprentice – FAQs (frequently asked questions)

See below for a list of frequently asked questions to help apprentices on the Construction Apprenticeship Scheme

Can my CAS Agreement be terminated?

Yes. But your employer must follow procedures within your terms and conditions of employment and any other procedures of a disciplinary nature.

If your employer breaches these procedures, you have the right to appeal against your Agreement being terminated.

Appeals should be lodged with:

The Secretary of the CAS Management Committee
Bircham Newton
King’s Lynn
PE31 6RH

What happens if my employer is unable to offer relevant training or ceases trading?

The employer can terminate the Agreement. If your employer ceases to trade he/she can have the Deed Cancelled.

However, your employer is responsible for trying to place you elsewhere so that you can continue your training.

CITB will also try to help in this case.

What do I do if I want to change my trade?

Cancellation of your first Deed must be by mutual consent between all parties.

Am I signed up from day one?

The employer must employ you from day one. However, there is a registration period allowed for all parties to be able to complete the Agreement and return it to be lodged at CITB Record Centre.

Who pays for the college training?

It is your employer’s responsibility to pay for college fees.

However, if you are under CITB Managing Agency, they will pay the college fees on behalf of your employer.

Why does the Deed mention both the apprenticeship and framework?

The NVQ is not the complete qualification. You will additionally need to complete functional skills in Maths and English, a Technical Certificate and an ERR (Employment Responsibilities and Rights documentation), before you have achieved the full qualification for your work.

If for any reason I had to take off a significant length of time from work, would I still be able to return afterwards and complete my qualification?

Under normal circumstances, this should not be a problem. However, this will need to be discussed with your employer.

What would happen if I left my apprenticeship?

There are two considerations here: the short- and long-term.  On one hand, if you terminate the agreement, you should do so properly (the CAS and employment agreements provide notice periods); on the other, your actions may impact long-term career goals and any interim benefits claim.  With so much to consider in the employer-employee relationship, you may want to take specialist employment law advice on your exit.  

Why do I need a Code of Conduct?

A Code of Conduct is good practice and merely a set of ethical standards that both you and your employer should observe during your training. It is not a binding legal document and should be used as a guide.

Is the Deed a contract of employment?

No you will be issued with a separate Contract of Employment.

You must receive this document within eight weeks of your start date. However, we would recommend that this is requested by you on your first week, if it does not materialise on your first day.

The Deed is a legal agreement between you and your employer and relates to the Apprenticeship Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009.

What happens at the end of the apprenticeship period?

Your employer should notify us of your completion and we will return your completion certificate to you.

What happens to my apprenticeship if I change employers?

The Deed details will be transferred to your new employer and you will continue with your apprenticeship. We will update our data systems to keep a track on your apprenticeship.

Does the CAS agreement have any involvement with the working time directive?

The agreement serves only to ensure the employer and apprentice have an agreed joint working arrangement specific to the training the apprentice is carrying out.

For information on the working time directive, you should contact your employer for clarification.

Web design by S8080