In 2015, CITB conducted the Investment Funding Review to find out how to improve our skills and training funding for construction employers.
We consulted over 800 employers and federations in the industry to better understand what you need in terms of funding.
New funding system
In response to the feedback you gave us in the Review, we are changing our funding system to make it easier to access and strongly linked to industry’s skills and training needs.
The changes are being rolled out over 2015 and 2016, and we are monitoring your feedback throughout this period to improve things along the way.
Other initiatives we have started:
- Go Construct: we have worked with industry partners to jointly invest in, design, and deliver a website dedicated to promoting careers in construction.
- Improving the funding and levy information on our website.
- Online versions of our funding application forms.
Benefits of the new funding system
The changes to the system will make funding easier to apply for and evaluate, so we can ensure a high return on investment for industry money.
We want to ensure our funding decisions are backed up with strong evidence, so that funding can really benefit industry and help to remove skills gaps.
To help us achieve this, from 2016 CITB funding will be given out for the achievement of outcomes and impact, rather than for the delivery of an activity.
How we conducted the Investment Funding Review
We carried out a range of research in early 2015 to gather feedback from the industry about our funding. This helped us to develop several possible funding systems, which we tested before deciding on the new model.
- Desk analysis.
- We discussed the review at the CITB employer forums across Great Britain.
- We sought the views of our consensus federations and other groups.
- We ran a series of workshops with employers, using an external market research agency to ensure the process was unbiased.
Download the presentation from the employer workshops.
The feedback you gave us during the Investment Funding Review was that you value the support we offer for training, but we need to make improvements so you can fully benefit from the funding, eg:
- make it easier to apply for funding
- simplify the Grants Scheme (essential funding for your businesses)
- ensure our funding targets the skills that industry needs the most
- increase funding for technical and professional training and higher-level vocational qualifications (NVQs and SVQs)
- lead on increasing the appeal of working in construction and encouraging new entrants to the industry.