CPCS Code A04 Endorsement A – Trolley Jib B – Luffing Jib
This course is suitable if you have had no previous experience of have received no formal instruction in operation Tower Cranes.
On successfully completing the course you will receive a CITB National Construction College certificate.
On successful completion of the CPCS Technical Tests you will be awarded a Red CPCS Trained Operator Card.
The course is delivered through a combination of classroom-based tutorials and practical training.
Completing the course successfully will entitle you to a CPCS Red Trained Operator Card (upon successful completion of the appropriate CPCS Technical Test).
- Operate the tower crane safely and productively
- Respond to the recognised signals for controlling crane operations
- Decide whether a particular load is within the capacity of the crane
- Carry out minor adjustments and routine maintenance
- Understand the capabilities of the equipment and any relevant safety precautions, including the out of service procedure
- Operate safe-load indicators and overload warning devices
- Understand the effect of the working radius on the lifting capacity of the machine
- Secure, check and maintain counterweights effectively
- Gauge the effect of shock loading on structural strength and stability
- Recognise the principles of safe slinging, the types and capacities of lifting gear, security and balance of load
- Observe the statutory regulations in respect of lifting equipment and the operator’s own legal responsibilities.
9 days (8 days of training, 1 day of technical tests)
NCC East (Bircham Newton) only
The following grants available for eligible employers:
- £50 per day for training days only
- £410 for successful completion of the Practical Test
- £60 for successful completion of the Theory Test
Visit citb.co.uk/grant for further information
Before enrolling on the course:
- You must have passed a CITB Health, Safety and Environment (HS&E) test no more than two years before attending this course.
- You must have a good understanding of spoken and written English. Please contact us if you have any concerns in this area.
In addition to the above entry requirements you should consider operating tower cranes require you to be comfortable working at height. If you have no experience of working at height we offer the opportunity to climb one of our cranes. This is strongly recommended prior to booking the course. Please call 0344 994 4433 for details.
Assessment and exams:
You will be assessed through both theory and practical tests.
When you successfully complete the course you will be awarded:
- CPCS Red Trained Operator Card (on successful completion of the CPCS Technical Tests).
- CITB National Construction College certificate.
After successfully completing the course you may also want to consider: