To upgrade you need to:
- hold a CPCS Red Trained Operator Card for the category which is within 12 months of expiry date
- pass the relevant CITB health, safety and environment test within the last two years
- achieve a SVQ or NVQ, with the appropriate units relevant to the category.
Once you have these, call the CPCS Helpline on 0844 815 7274, confirm your details and make a payment of £25. This is a non-refundable fee for the services of processing the application. You will be asked to supply a copy of the certificate gained
A Blue Competent Operator Card will be issued for five years. Full details on How to Upgrade a Red card are available to view in the Scheme Booklet for Operators.
To add further endorsements to existing categories, you need to:
- pass the relevant CITB health, safety and environment test
- achieve the CPCS practical test (within two years of the CITB health, safety and environment test)
On achievement of the CPCS practical test, the CPCS test centre will request the CPCS trained operator card on your behalf.
You are not required to pass the theory test to add a further endorsement regardless of when the original card was issued.