Frequently Asked Questions

CITB Experience Construction Programme

Who is eligible to take part?

The work experience candidate must be aged between 16 and 18 years of age and must not have completed a Level 2 construction qualification.

Can under 18s be employed on construction sites for work or work experience?

There is no reason why a young person under 18 could not be employed on a building site for work or work experience, provided the work was properly assessed and suitable controls put in place.

What about insurance cover for the student?

The employer should inform their insurance company that they are offering work experience to a young person. They will be covered by their Employer's Liability Insurance like any member of staff.

Will the student be paid for the work experience?

The scheme is designed to give the student a taste of life in the construction industry and is not a paid position.

Will I receive support from CITB?

Both the student and the employer will receive support from a dedicated Apprenticeship Officer who will be available to answer any questions. We have over 50 years of experience in delivering Apprenticeships and are highly skilled in this area.

If I offer a work experience placement, will this involve completing lots of forms and paperwork?

The majority of the paperwork will be completed by CITB staff so there is very little for the employer to complete.

Do schools and colleges, or CITB have to carry out workplace checks before sending students on work experience placements?

There are no health and safety regulations that require schools, colleges, or those organising placements on their behalf, to carry out workplace assessments for work experience placements. There is also no requirement for any prescribed level of occupational competence or qualification for education personnel, or others organising these placements.

However, schools, colleges and CITB do need to satisfy themselves that an employer has risk management arrangements for placements, including for higher risk environments.

Is a seperate risk assessment required for work experience students?

A separate risk assessment is not required specifically for work experience students, as long as the employer’s existing assessment already considers the specific factors for young people. Furthermore, there is no requirement to re-assess the risks each time an employer takes on a new work experience student, provided the new student has no particular needs.

Do Schools, colleges and CITB have to visit all workplaces in advance of a student starting a work experience placement?

It is not for schools, colleges or CITB to assess work places. The employer who is taking on the student for work experience has the primary responsibility for their health and safety. However the dedicated CITB Apprenticeship Officer will take reasonable steps to satisfy themselves that an employer is managing any significant risks.  A conversation with an employer could include finding out what the student will be doing, what the risks are and how they are managed.

How do I offer a work experience placement?

Useful links

Visit the Health and Safety Executive for more guidance on work experience