You can provide a phased project bid, and projects can last up to three years.
Focus on one or a combination of the following areas:
- Aberdeenshire (excluding Aberdeen)
- Argyll and Bute
- Dumfries and Galloway
- East Ayrshire
- East Dunbartonshire
- East Lothian
- East Renfrewshire
- Na h-Eileanan Siar
- Highlands (includes North Highlands)
- Midlothian (excluding Edinburgh)
- North Ayrshire
- North Lanarkshire
- Orkney Islands
- Perth and Kinross
- Scottish Borders
- Shetland Islands
- South Ayrshire
- West Dunbartonshire
- West Lothian
As the challenge is essentially in increasing skills in rural areas, your project should allow training and recruitment to happen as locally as possible, whether it is on the Scottish Islands or the mainland.
We are looking for onsite placements and training, using mobile training hubs and fixed infrastructure. The focus should be on new build capital projects (through Tier 1 leads and supply chain) and repairs and maintenance programmes.
This training should lead to learners gaining employment within the industry networks.
The design of mobile training units should also contain the opportunity to diversify and roll out training interventions which meets the needs of rural industry, such as:
- training which gets workers ‘carded’, employed and onsite
- training which is required as part of the modern apprenticeship framework, such as onsite assessment/skills tests and specialist upskilling
- training which is taken to the employers and stops the need for travelling from islands to mainland and vice versa making it more cost-effective and lessening carbon footprints
- training which is part of the digital agenda
- training school students as part of their Foundation Apprenticeship
- training FE learners allowing for work and onsite experience within a protected hub environment.
Your project will need delivery partners to enable the roll out of an appropriate solution for each region.
Delivery of the project will be supported by and will have the full involvement of local and national Scottish Employers and/or member organisations where there are identified occupational shortages and where such employers are looking to recruit.
If your bid is successful, your projects must start within three months of us notifying you.