Work Experience grant can be claimed from 1 April 2020 to 30 September 2021.
We pay grant for planned work experience days when it is an essential part of a construction-related degree.
August 2020 Grants Scheme update
Work experience grant is being discontinued from 1 October 2021.
Employers can apply for grant for work experience completed up until 30 September 2021, up to a cap of £10,000 (334 days), for all days between 1 October 2020 and 30 September 2021.
If you intend to apply for Work Experience grant for days from 1 October 2020 to 30 September 2021, please complete this new online form, in advance of completing the normal Grant Application form below at the end of the work experience period.
All applications for days from 1 April 2020 – 30 September 2020 should be submitted by 30 November 2020. Any submitted after this date will be subject to the £10,000 cap.
All applications for days from 1 April 2020 – 31 March 2021 must be submitted by 30 June 2021. Further applications for days between 1 April 2021 and 30 September 2021 must be submitted by 31 December 2021.
Who can apply for this grant
You can apply if you:
This grant will support employees paid through the payroll who are taking planned work experience which:
- is essential or integral to a construction-related degree
- lasts for 4 consecutive weeks or more.
Which courses are eligible?
The following qualifications which require a work experience placement are covered under this grant:
- BEng Architectural Engineering
- BEng Civil and Coastal Engineering
- BEng Civil and Environmental Engineering
- BEng Civil and Infrastructure Engineering
- BEng Civil Engineering
- BEng Civil Engineering and Sustainability
- BEng Construction Engineering Management
- BSc Architectural Engineering Design and Management
- BSc Architectural Technology
- BSc Building Surveying
- BSc Civil Engineering
- BSc Civil Engineering with Railway engineering
- BSc Commercial Management (Quantity surveying)
- BSc Construction Engineering Management
- BSc Construction Management
- BSc Construction Project Management
- BSc Quantity Surveying
- BSc Surveying and mapping
- MEng Architectural Engineering
- MEng Civil and Architectural Engineering
- MEng Civil and Coastal Engineering
- MEng Civil and Structural Engineering
- MEng Civil Engineering
- MSc Civil and Structural Engineering
- MSc Civil Engineering
- MSc Quantity Surveying
Only CITB-registered employers who have workers undertaking these qualifications are eligible to apply for this grant – individuals/students are not eligible to apply for this grant.
The grant also funds work experience that:
- takes place temporarily overseas, or
- with another firm to broaden the student’s understanding and experience.
In these instances, the student must be still employed by a CITB-registered employer who is based in Great Britain for the entire duration of that work experience.
The grant will not support:
- subcontractors taking planned work experience
- any period where the student is attending other grant-aided training
- any period where the student is on holiday, at college or university attending a course, or on sick leave.
In order to receive the grant, you must:
- produce a training programme for each student undertaking work experience
- be able to show where, when and with whom the student did their work experience.
You may use your own format for the content of the training programme.
How much is it?
There is a cap applied to any work experience days claimed from 1 April 2020 to 30 September 2021.
Eligible employers can apply for grant up to a maximum of £10,000 (334 days) for Work Experience days within this period.
The grant is £30 per day.
You can apply for a maximum of £7,200 for 48 consecutive weeks of degree placement work experience for each person in a lifetime.
48 consecutive weeks of work experience equates to 240 days.
How to apply
For degree placement work experience grant taking place between 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020 you should submit an application form by 30 November 2020.
For degree placement work experience grant taking place between 1 April 2020 and 31 March 2021 you should submit an application form by 30 June 2021.
Please note: Use Chrome or Firefox to download the form. We recommend that you do not use Internet Explorer as you may have problems downloading this.
Have you sent us your bank details?
Do we have your bank details so that we can pay out on your grant claim?
Grants are only paid by bank transfer. If we do not hold your current bank details, please complete and submit the secure online Bacs Direct Credit Authorisation Form to receive grant payments