The course includes practical training in the following:
- Interpreting diagrams and technical drawings
- Principles of setting out
- Fabricate and repair: wooden and system formwork
- Erect and strike: wooden and system formwork
- Erect and strike: crane handled formwork
- Concrete (mixes, volumes and placing).
You'll also learn all the basic skills and knowledge including:
- Interpreting information
- Estimating resources
- Basic building methods
- Building elements
- Building materials.
You’ll also gain competence in:
- Health and safety
- Drug and alcohol awareness
- Mobile towers
- Safe use of ladders
- Manual handling
- Safe use of small tools and equipment.
Teaching and assessment
18 weeks training (including assessment) in three- or two-week blocks, over two years. Periods between college training are spent on site with your employer, developing work-based skills and knowledge.
Classroom-based theory and workshop-based practical assessments, with individual tutorials and progress reviews. You’ll complete:
- Written and practical assessments (mapped to Diploma and NVQ Diploma competence levels)
- A site visit (via an assessor)
- A synoptic practical test
- An assessment (delivered via a test at the end of each unit)
- On-line multiple-choice assessment test at the end of the training course
Qualifications you gain
- Level 2 Construction Diploma in Formwork
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Formwork Operations
- Level 2 Functional Skills (maths and English)
- Personal learning and thinking skills.
No formal requirements, but it’s useful to have GCSE grades A*-C in English, maths and technology.
- Communication skills
- Problem solving
You will be paid while you learn.
The following CITB grants are available for employers to fund their apprentices on this course:
If you applied for your aprenticeship through the Skills Funding Agency, only applicants aged between 16 and18 who have not been placed on a training scheme before are guaranteed full funding.
How to apply
Call 0300 456 5037 for course dates and how to apply.
After this course
You can be assessed for higher NVQs at the National Construction College. We provide details to all trainees.