The course includes practical training in the following:
- Carrying out safe working practices in construction
- Selecting the quantity and quality of resources for construction operations
- Preparing roof sheeting, cladding materials and components for installation
- Applying roof sheeting and cladding to the structural fabric
- Installing rainwater goods
- Providing setting out for roof sheeting and cladding
- Storing resources ready for use
- Building methods and construction technology.
You’ll also gain competence in:
- Employment responsibilities and rights
- Health and safety
- Drug and alcohol awareness
- Mobile towers
- Fire fighting
- Safe use of ladders
- Manual handling
- First aid.
Teaching and assessment
- Two x three-week blocks
- One x two-week block
- You’ll spend periods between college training on site with your employer, developing work-based skills and knowledge.
A combination of classroom-based theory and workshop-based practicals, individual tutorials and progress reviews. Assessment will take place via:
- Written and practical assessments (mapped to Diploma and NVQ Diploma competence levels)
- A site visit
- A synoptic practical challenge
- An assessment
- On-line mulitiple-choice assessment test.
Qualifications you gain
- Level 2 NVQ Construction Diploma in Roof Sheeting and Cladding
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Cladding Operations
- Level 1 Functional Skills
- Employment Responsibilities and Rights
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills.You may also gain value-added qualifications in first aid and health and safety, along with other industry-specific subjects.
No formal requirements, but it’s useful to have GCSE grades A*-C in English, maths and technology.
- Good numeracy skills are important asyou'll need to calculate areas and volumes
To help us assess your suitability for the course, you'll need to:
- complete a skills learning exercise and possibly attend the college for further tests.
- Physical fitness
- A head for heights
- Enjoy working outdoors in all weathers
You will be paid while you learn.
The following CITB grants are available for employers to fund their apprentices on this course:
If you applied for your aprenticeship through the Skills Funding Agency, only applicants aged between 16 and18 who have not been placed on a training scheme before are guaranteed full funding.
How to apply
Call 0300 456 5037 for course dates and how to apply.
After this course
You can be assessed for higher NVQs at the National Construction College. We provide details to all trainees.