The course includes practical training in the following:
- Safe use of ladders
- Manual handling
- Carrying out safe working practices in construction
- Information, quantities and communicating with others
- Building methods and construction technology
- Installing single-lap roof coverings to a variable gauge
- Installing plain tile roof coverings
- Installing regular-sized natural roof slates to standard details
- Stripping and reclaiming pitched roof coverings
- Installing roofing backgrounds and components
- Installing pre-formed weathering flashings to roofs.
You’ll also gain competence in:
- Employment responsibilities and rights
- Health and safety
- Drug and alcohol awareness.
Teaching and assessment
Two years (total training: 20 weeks at college over the two year period)
You’ll spend periods between college training on site with your employer, developing work-based skills and knowledge.
A combination of classroom-based theory and workshop-based practicals, individual tutorials and progress reviews. Assessment will take place via:
- Written and practical assessments (mapped to Diploma and NVQ Diploma competence levels)
- A site visit
- A synoptic practical challenge
- An assessment
- On-line mulitiple-choice assessment test.
Qualifications you gain
- Level 2 NVQ Construction Diploma in Roof Slating and Tiling
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Roofing Operations
- Level 1 Functional Skills
- Employment Responsibilities and Rights
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills.
- You may also gain value-added qualifications in first aid and health and safety, along with other industry-specific subjects.
No formal requirements, but it’s useful to have GCSE grades A*-C in English, maths and technology.
- Good numeracy skills are important as the job involves calculating areas and quantities of materials
- You’ll need an aptitude for reading and interpreting plans, instructions and drawings.
- Physical fitness
- A head for heights
- Enjoy working outdoors in all weathers
You will be paid while you learn.
The following CITB grants are available for employers to fund their apprentices on this course:
If you haven't yet applied to be an apprentice, visit bConstructive to check if you qualify for funding.
If you applied for your aprenticeship through the Skills Funding Agency, only applicants aged between 16 and18 who have not been placed on a training scheme before are guaranteed full funding.
How to apply
Call 0300 456 5037 for course dates and how to apply.
After this course
You can be assessed for higher NVQs at the National Construction College. We provide details to all trainees.