Excavation Support for Timber Trenches and Shafts
Cost: £595 no VAT charged
Duration: 3 days
Locations: Bircham (Norfolk)
Mandatory Entry Requirements: See below
Funding: See Grants and funding below
This practical course is designed for operatives who have little or no experience in supporting trenches and shafts.
You’ll learn the safest excavation and trenching techniques, in line with current legislation, and how to overcome problems caused by the weather, different soil types and groundwater.
Please make sure that you have read and understood the entry requirements (see below) and booking terms and conditions for this course.
- Recognition of soil structures
- Effects of weathering
- Application of appropriate methods of hand or mechanical means of excavation
- Overcoming problems due to varying ground conditions and services
- Erection of trench sheets or timbers to shallow or medium trenches using ‘hit and miss’, ‘pinchers’ and ‘close sheeting’ methods and drive metal trench sheeting
- Correct support of shafts in loose ground
- Awareness of how to overcome groundwater problems
- Awareness of the various proprietary systems and their usage
- Awareness of the importance of safe methods of working and conforming to relevant safety regulations
- The principles of backfilling and striking
- Legislation and inspection log sheets.
Teaching and assessment
- Practical skills training takes up 80% of this course
- The remainder is classroom based tutorials.
Qualifications you get
- CITB National Construction College certificate.
Mandatory entry requirements
- You will need a reasonable level of mobility and the ability to lift and move loads
- You will also need a good understanding of spoken and written English. Please contact us if you have any concerns in this area.
By booking a course, you are agreeing to abide by our Terms and Conditions.
Grants and funding
Grants are available for eligible employers. For further information please visit our grant pages.