CITB has developed this standard in discussion with industry
Minimum 3 days of 6 learning hours per day
The purpose of training delivered against this standard is to provide candidates with a practical introduction in the use of Helical bars for masonry stabilisation and reinforcement.
The scope includes:
- development of helical reinforcement for structural repairs
- commonly used products, tools and equipment
- remedial wall ties
- crack stitching
- lintel reinforcement
- masonry beaming
- lateral restraints
Training delivered against this standard would be relevant to the following occupational groups:
- operative and craft
There are no candidate pre-requisites as part of this standard. However, a basic knowledge of building terminology and techniques would be beneficial.
As a minimum, course instructors must be able to demonstrate that, in relation to this standard, they have:
- a train the trainer or instructional techniques course certificate
- successfully completed training to this standard
- at least 2 years relevant industrial experience
- a verifiable CV
Delivery may be in an on or off the job environment.
All materials and equipment must be of a suitable quality and quantity for candidates to achieve learning outcomes, and must comply with relevant legislation.
The class size and candidate/instructor ratio must allow training to be delivered in a safe manner and enable candidates to achieve the learning outcomes.
This standard is considered to contain 51 per cent or more theoretical learning.
For the successful completion of training, the trainer will be required to make a declaration of the learner’s contribution during the course and that they are confident the learner has understood the content of the course.
Quality assurance against this standard will require initial approval of the training organisation and their content mapped to the standard.
CITB will also conduct an approval intervention, either desk-based or centre visit, to ensure the training organisation can meet the requirements of the Training Standard.
Approved training organisations will be required to present information on records of training and assessment upon request to CITB for desk based analysis. They will also be visited annually by the CITB quality assurance team.
There are no mandatory renewal or recommended refreshment requirements for this standard.
Either on request or in 3 years from approval date.
The candidate will be able to:
- Describe the development of helical products used in structural repairs
- Identify the products, tools and equipment used in masonry stabilisation and reinforcement using helical bars
- Use helical bars for cavity tie replacement
- Use helical bars for crack stitching
- Use helical bars for lintel reinforcement
- Use helical bars for masonry beaming
- Use helical bars for lateral restraints.