CITB has developed this standard in discussion with industry.
Minimum 1 day of 6 learning hours
Purpose / Scope
This standard is about applying loose leaf metal and/or transfer metal to previously prepared surfaces. Selecting, preparing and using materials, components, tools and associated equipment.
The scope covers:
- develop skills to apply, cut, pick-up, lay-on, and burnish
- apply appropriate gold size, and loose leaf metal and/or transfer metal and skew and burnish
Training delivered against this standard would be relevant to the following occupational groups:
- operative and craft
There are no candidate pre-requisites as part of this standard. However, a basic knowledge of painting and decorating would be beneficial.
Instruction / Supervision
As a minimum, course instructors must be able to demonstrate that in relation to this standard they have:
- A train the trainer or instructional techniques course certificate
- Successfully completed training to this standard
- At least 2 years relevant industrial experience
Delivery may be in an on or off the job environment.
All materials and equipment should be of suitable quality and quantity for candidates to achieve learning outcomes and must comply with relevant legislation.
The class size and candidate/instructor ratio must allow training to be delivered in a safe manner and enable candidates to achieve the learning outcomes.
The following delivery methods may/may not be used in the delivery of this standard:
This standard is considered to contain 51 per cent or more practical learning.
For the successful completion of training, the trainer must be satisfied that the candidate has achieved all of the learning outcomes.
Approved training organisations (ATOs) will be required to present information on records of training and assessment upon request to CITB for desk-based analysis. They will also be visited annually by the CITB quality assurance team.
Renewal / refresher
Non mandatory refresher every 5 years
Either on request or in 3 year(s) from approval date.
The candidate will be able to:
- adopt safe and healthy work practices, procedures and skills relating to the method/area of work
- check suitability of previously prepared surfaces
- prepare and apply solvent-borne and water-borne gold size and loose leaf metal and transfer metal to flat and irregular ornate surfaces
- prepare and apply suitable barrier coat when required.
Additional information about this standard
Contact trade organisations for more information:
This standard is covered by National Occupational Standard COSVR336