CITB has developed this standard in discussion with industry.
Minimum 2 days of 6 learning hours per day
Purpose / Scope
This standard is about producing marbling effects. Preparing and using materials, components, tools and associated equipment. Providing protection to the work area.
The scope covers:
- demonstration of work skills to mix, blend, pour, dilute, lay-on, stipple, soften, feather and wipe out
- use and maintain hand tools, portable power tools and associated equipment
- prepare high quality grounds and produce marbling effects using water-borne scumbles and/or solvent-borne scumbles to given working instructions on broad and linear work
- know when to apply appropriate protective finish where applicable
Training delivered against this standard would be relevant to the following occupational groups:
- operative and craft
There are no candidate pre-requisites as part of this standard. However, a basic knowledge of painting and decorating terminology and techniques would be beneficial.
Instruction / Supervision
As a minimum, course instructors must be able to demonstrate that in relation to this standard they have:
- A train the trainer or instructional techniques course certificate
- Successfully completed training to this standard
- At least 2 years relevant industrial experience
Delivery may be in an on or off the job environment.
All materials and equipment should be of suitable quality and quantity for candidates to achieve learning outcomes and must comply with relevant legislation.
The class size and candidate/instructor ratio must allow training to be delivered in a safe manner and enable candidates to achieve the learning outcomes.
The following delivery methods may/may not be used in the delivery of this standard:
- a blend of classroom and workshop
This standard is considered to contain 51 per cent or more practical learning.
For the successful completion of training, the trainer must be satisfied that the candidate has achieved all of the learning outcomes.
Approved training organisations (ATOs) will be required to present information on records of training and assessment upon request to CITB for desk-based analysis. They will also be visited annually by the CITB quality assurance team.
Renewal / refresher
Non mandatory refresher every 5 years
Either on request or in 3 year(s) from approval date.
The candidate will be able to:
- check suitability of previously prepared surface and bring up to suitable finish/ground
- prepare paint/scumble products (proprietary and self-produced)
- prepare brushes, rollers, specialised tools and equipment
- produce marble effects by apply marbling technics to broad and linear work completing the work in stages and demonstrate the work skills to mix, blend, pour, dilute, lay-on, stipple, soften, feather and wipe out
- apply protective glaze/varnishes to marbled work ( if applicable)
- identify how atmospheric conditions affect coatings and their application process
Additional information about this standard
Contact trade organisations for more information:
This standard is covered by National Occupational Standard COSVR336