Basic ground rules
- The new entrant must have a full-time contract of direct employment with Levy registered employer
- Grant not available to sub-contract labour (even if mentioned on Levy Return) or self employed
- Learner must not have been on another CITB grant assisted Apprenticeship at the same VQ level
- Open to both trade association members and non-members
- No upper age restriction - 16+ but employer preference tends to be 18+
- The new entrant must attend all off job modules for the employer to qualify for the 'framework achievement' element of the grant
- Must apply for and obtain a CSCS Trainee Card during the first month of training
- The employer must provide on job supervised training to at least twice the number of off job days - to be recorded in the learner’s logbook.
Who can be a SAP level 2 SAP learner?
- New entrant to sector (might already have a VQ in another suite of occupations but have not been on a grant aided Apprenticeship before
- i.e. career changer). Consider SUP first if available for the occupation
- New entrant - possibly employed for up to 12 months in the sector but has had no formal training and has not been registered for an NVQ in the occupation
- New entrant - someone moving either from within the employer's company or externally from a different post to become an operative. e.g. from store person to operative,or a genuine upskilling/promotional route from labourer to skilled operative- career developer.
There is a cost to employers for both the training and assessment, payable to the partner training provider.