Quick guide - for individuals and employers wanting to apply for a CSCS card:
Individuals - how to apply for your own card
- Use cscs.uk/com/cardfinder to find out which card you need
- Make sure you have passed the CITB Health, safety and environment test in the last 2 years (exemptions can be found at cscs.com.uk/test)
- Call 0344 9944 4777 and pay £30 using your debit or credit card
Employers - how to apply for a card for your workforce
- Complete the application form at cscs.uk.com/employer
- Unless you have CITB account where you will be invoiced, a member of or team will contact you over the phone to take a card payment
The requirements for labourers changed in July 2014. If you are a labourer, take a look at the guidance video to find out about CSCS card requirements and how to get a card.
Quick guide - applying for your CSCS Labourer card:
Follow these 3 easy steps:
- Make sure you have a UK qualification in Health and safety in the construction environment
- If you already have an accepted qualification, you can email or post a copy of your certificate as part of your application
- A full list of accepted qualifications is available on cscs.uk.com/cardfinder
- Pass the CITB Health, safety and environment test at citb.co.uk/hsandetest
- Call 0344 994 4777 and pay £30 by credit or debit card or by cheque
Note: You can apply for a card directly or through your employer, however there are organisations who offer application services.
If you are being charged more than £30 for a card or £17.50 for a Health, safety and environment test, check that you understand what additional services you will receive from these organisations.
The Online Card Checker lets you search card and test details for workers with scheme memberships or tests administered by CITB.
You can use the online card checker service to check if a CSCS card is valid. You do not need to register for this service and will be able to check a card straight away.
To apply for most CSCS cards you need to show you have passed the CITB Health, safety and environment test in the last 2 years.
Quick guide - booking the Health, safety and environment test you need
Before booking your Health, safety and environment test, ensure it's the one you need by following these 3 easy steps:
- Go to cscs.uk.com/cardfinder to look up your job title and role to find out which card you need
- Book your test at citb.co.uk/test at a cost of £17.50
- Visit citb.co.uk/revision to prepare for your test
More information on booking the test and how to prepare for it is available within our Health, safety and environment section.
The Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) provides proof that individuals working on construction sites have the necessary training and qualifications to carry out their work.
Set up in 1995, with the principal objective of providing the construction industry with a means to certify that individuals working on construction sites have the required training and qualifications for the type of work they carry out.
Successful applicants are issued with a card that confirms the holder’s identification, qualifications and training and also shows the holder has met the necessary Health and Safety requirements for their occupation.
The scheme is widely used on the majority of UK construction sites. There are over 1.4 million core scheme cardholders with an additional 500,000 cards issued through recognised schemes that carry the CSCS logo.
CITB administers the scheme under contract.