CSCS FAQs (Frequently asked questions)
Click on the links below to see the answers to the questions
1. What are the benefits of a CSCS card?
CSCS is the leading skills certification scheme within the UK construction industry.
CSCS cards provide proof that individuals working on construction sites have the required training and qualifications for the type of work they carry out.
The Scheme keeps a database of people working in construction who have achieved, or are committed to achieving a recognised construction related qualification.
Most principal contractors and major house builders require construction workers on their sites to hold a valid CSCS card.
2. What do I need to apply for my card?
The majority of CSCS cards require a construction related qualification as well as a Health Safety & Environment Test passed within the previous 2 years.
When sending information by email to the CSCS always include:
- The registration number (if known)
- First and last name
- Date of Brith or National Insurance Number
To apply for a CSCS card you need to prove you have the training and qualifications required to carry out your job. The type of work you do and your qualifications or membership of professional bodies will determine which type of CSCS card you should apply for.
You can check the various routes and requirements here.
3. How do I apply for my card?
To apply for your own CSCS card you need to check which card is the right one for you and the job that you do by using the online cardfinder. This will also tell you which type of CITB Health, Safety and Environment test you need to take. There is more information about booking the test here or you can call 0344 994 4488.
The test costs £19.50. Once you have passed the correct test, please call the CSCS Contact Centre on 0344 994 4777.
Before you call us make sure you have:
- A credit or debit card to pay £30 for the card
- Your current or previous employer’s details - including contact name, company name and telephone number (this is not required for the Labourer, Provisional or Regular Visitor Cards) click here for specific PQP requirements.
- Checked the requirements for the type of card you are applying for
You may need to email us copies of your qualifications. If you do not have this information when you call, it may delay your application.
We are able to view the Health Safety and Environment Test and qualification certificates issued by CITB. All other information will have to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to calling to apply for your card, an automated response will tell you we have received your email.
You can also download an application form, complete it and return it with the required documentation and payment. Please note that postal applications can take up to 20 working days.
Your employer can apply for a card on your behalf, however there are organisations who offer application services.
If you are being charged more than £30 for a card or £19.50 for a Health, safety and environment test, check that you understand what additional services you will receive from these organisations.
4. What qualifications or training am I likely to need to apply for the CSCS card?
- To apply for a CSCS card, you must have the appropriate construction related qualifications and training. In most cases, you must have passed the CITB Health, safety and environment test within the previous two years. Exemptions to this requirement are listed below.
- The type of Health, safety & environment test you need to pass will depend on the job you do and the type of card you are applying for. Find out which test you need to take using the card finder.
- The aim of the Health, safety and environment test is to examine knowledge across a wide range of topics to improve safety and productivity on site. It is usually taken as a PC-based touch screen test.
- Click the link to book the CITB Health, safety and environment test. The test costs £19.50. If the person taking the test needs additional support e.g. accessibility or literacy please call the booking line on 0344 994 4488.
- You can amend or cancel your Health Safety & Environment Test booking. Any changes or cancellations need to be completed with Pearson Vue. Please call the booking line on 0344 994 4488.
A range of materials is available to help you revise and practice for the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test. They are available from most high street and online booksellers or you can find out more here or by calling 0344 994 4488. You can also download revision apps from here.
5. Exemptions and overseas qualifications
If you have achieved a construction related NVQ or SVQ within the last two years and are applying for a CSCS card for the occupation the NVQ or SVQ relates to, you may not have to pass a CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test. Please check with your training provider.
This is only available to new applications and cannot be used for card renewals. CSCS has a mutual recognition agreement with SOLAS (previously known as FAS (Eire) Safepass) which acts as an exemption to the Operative or Specialist CITB Health and Safety Test requirement providing that it has been completed within two years of the application being made.
Please note that SOLAS is not acceptable as an exemption to the Supervisor or Manager and Professional (MAP) level CITB Health, Safety and Environment test.
If you have not taken a Health Safety and Environment Test within the previous two years please supply a recent passport sized photograph with a white background to email@example.com.
Provide full personal details so this can be placed on file and used for your application when you call the Helpdesk to apply for your card.
UK NARIC is the designated National Agency responsible for providing information, advice and expert opinion on qualifications worldwide.Working on behalf of the UK Government, UK NARIC provides a range of advisory services which compare international qualifications.
UK NARIC provides recognition service and comparability information of international qualifications from 183 countries worldwide with those in the UK. Any qualifications gained outside the UK must be sent to UK NARIC for review. To apply for a CSCS card qualifications must be mapped and be directly comparable to an NVQ or SVQ at the appropriate level.
Other levels of qualification may be acceptable for a Trainee card or an Academically Qualified Persons card, dependent on level of mapping. Visit the UK NARIC website or contact UK NARIC on 0871 330 7033.
Once you have received your confirmation letter from UKNARIC you then need to send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Comparibility statement
- Copy of your original qualification (preferably translated)
- State the one specific occupation you do on site which you require a CSCS card.
Once this information is received CSCS will review your qualifications to check your eligibility for the occupation being applied. CSCS will notify you via email what card you are eligible for so you can continue with your application by calling the Helpdesk on 0344 994 4777.
6. Where is my card?
If you have submitted a paper application, the card should be issued and received within a calendar month, if it has not been received within this period please call our Helpdesk on 0344 994 4777
If you have applied via the telephone the card will be despatched the following working day by first class post. You should receive it within 10 working days. If it has not arrived after this time please contact our Helpdesk on 0344 994 4777 to speak to an advisor
7. I have lost my card - what can I do?
If you have the ability to pay by Debit or Credit Card please call our Helpdesk on 0344 994 4777 to apply for a replacement card. All CSCS cards are £30.00. If you are unable to pay via debit or credit card please download an application form (link here).
8. What should I do if I suspect somebody is using a fraudulent card?
- Retain the card if possible
- Make photocopies of front and back
- Record cardholder’s name and address
- Ask the cardholder where the card was obtained from
- Call the local police and report the matter
- Refuse access to site (subject to company rules)
- Forward copies of all evidence to Operations Team; CSCS Ltd, The Building Centre, 26 Store Street, London WC1E 7BT marked “SUSPECTED FRAUDULENT CARD” with details of the crime number given by local police. You can also email Report.email@example.com . CSCS will fully support any prosecution with technical and factual evidence.
9. Employer Applications
If you are an employer applying for CSCS cards on behalf of other people you can complete the CSCS Employer Application Form and e-mail it to us
Please check the information on all sections of this form to ensure that the cards you are applying for are available using this form. Some occupations are offered directly through our affiliates.
The person named on the form will then be contacted so that payment may be collected and any queries resolved prior to cards being dispatched.
This process takes up to 20 working days.
An auto response will confirm that your application has been received. This will mean that multiple applications can be managed by one person in your organisation and they can be paid for in one transaction.
If you have an enquiry about submitted applications, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
10. What to do if you are on an Affiliated Scheme or have never held a card before