What information do I need to book a test?
You will need the following information before you can book a HS&E test:
- The test you need to take – Operative, Labourer, Specialist, or Managers and Professionals
- Whether you require any special assistance – see below for a full list of available services
- Your chosen method of payment – debit/credit card or a voucher purchased from our online store
- Your address details
- Your CITB registration number – You will have this number if you have taken the test before, or applied for certain card schemes (CSCS, CPCS, CISRS, etc)
PLEASE NOTE: When booking a Test please ensure that all personal details are correct. Any details that are incorrect or incomplete at test booking stage may cause a delay when applying for a card. CITB reserves the right to void a test should information from a Third Party Reseller not be sufficient to identify the candidate.
View the thrid party booking agent resale policy (pdf 49kb)
Where can I take the test?
You need to visit a CITB approved centre to sit the HS&E test, and there are three different types:
- A fixed test centre operated by your delivery provider – Find your nearest test centre
- An independent Internet Test Centre (ITC) – These are operated by colleges, training providers or commercial organisations (you will need to contact them directly to book a test)
- A Mobile Testing event –These can be arranged at a suitable location for a group of candidates. Call the dedicated corporate booking line on 0344 994 4492 or review further information about mobile testing events.
How can I book a test?
You can book your HS&E test online once you have registered your details.
Bookings can also be taken over the telephone by calling 0344 994 4488. Lines are open between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to midday on Saturdays.
You will be given the date and time of your test when you book, with the details then sent out to you by email or through the post. You can also choose to receive a SMS text message or email reminder 24 hours before your test.
Please review our Terms and Conditions (PDF, 174 KB) before you book the test.
Alternatively, if you are unable to book the HS&E test online or by telephone, please complete a postal application form (PDF, 238 KB) for the HS&E test and send it by post.
Cancelling or rescheduling your test
You can cancel or reschedule your test online or by calling the booking line on 0344 994 4488 at least 72 hours before your test, otherwise you will lose your fee.
If you did not receive a confirmation email or letter within the time specified, please call the booking line to check your booking has been made. We cannot take responsibility for postal delays and if you miss your test booking, you will forfeit your fee.
You will need to take a completed parental consent form with you to your HS&E test and you will need to contact our customer service centre on 0344 994 4488 for help with your booking.
In the exceptional circumstance that you don’t have any photographic identification, you will also need to take a completed Under 16 confirmation of ID Form (PDF, 92 KB) signed by a member of the teaching staff at the school or college that you attend.
All HS&E tests can be booked with English and Welsh voice-overs by request. All Revision DVDs also include Welsh voice-overs and you can call the dedicated Welsh booking line on 0344 994 4490 for more information.
The Operative test can be booked with voice-overs in the following languages:
An interpreter can also be requested if assistance is needed for other languages.
The Specialist test can be booked with an interpreter, but no pre-recorded voice-overs are available.
There is no foreign language assistance available for the Managers and Professionals and Labourer test, as proficiency in English is required in order to pass the test.
The Operative test can also be booked with British Sign Language on screen, and a signer can be provided if you need assistance in the other tests.
Any other special assistance (reader, signer, interpreter, with extra time) can be provided, but only at a fixed test centre and you will need to book through the dedicated booking line on 0344 994 4491.