The supplementary payment is for construction employers who pay the CITB levy and are claiming grants. It's an extra payment on top of the grant money you claim and is awarded for meeting the levy return and payment deadlines.
How much you can get
The supplementary payment is 10% of the grant you receive, for most types of grants.
For apprenticeship grants and craft non-apprenticeship grants, the payment is 22% for the duration of your apprentice’s training if:
- your apprentice started their training by 31 July 2015
- you registered for grant support by 31 July 2015
- you met the criteria for the supplementary payment by 31 July 2015. See How to qualify for the payment, below.
How to qualify for the payment
To get the supplementary payment with the grants you claim in the 2016-17 grant scheme year, you need to have:
- sent an accurate 2015 Levy Return by the deadline of 31 December 2015
- sent an accurate 2016 Levy Return by the deadline of 31 December 2016
- Set up your levy payment in 2017 by the deadline. The amount of levy you need to pay is shown on the levy assessment you get in spring 2017.
Who doesn’t qualify
You won't qualify for the supplementary payment in the 2016/17 grant scheme year if any of these apply to you:
- your total wage bill is under £80,000, so you don’t pay the levy
- you receive payments from labour-only subcontractors (known as labour-only payments received), and the offset of those payments reduces your levy fee to zero
- you miss the deadlines listed above under Who qualifies for the supplementary payment. If you are applying for apprenticeship grants and miss these dates, you won’t be able to receive the supplementary payment this year, regardless of the year your apprentice started.
When you get the payment
You receive the supplementary payment together with your grant payment.
You can find a list of the grant payments you have received on the Grant Payment Advice Letter that we send to you.