You can book your test online or by phone. To book online, you first need to register with Pearson VUE, the test provider.
- Register now
- Book a test online
- Book by phoning 0344 994 4488. Lines are open between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to midday on Saturdays.
- Welsh booking line: 0344 994 4490
You can also book the HS&E test by post by completing a postal application form (PDF, 278KB).
You will be given the date and time of your test when you book, with the details then sent out to you by email or through the post. You can also choose to receive a SMS text message or email reminder 24 hours before your test
Review our Terms and Conditions before you book the test.
What information do I need to book a test?
You need the following information before you can book a test:
- The test or module you need to take.
- Whether you require any special assistance
- Your chosen method of payment – debit/credit card or a voucher purchased from our online store
- Your address details
- Your CITB registration number – You will have one of these if you have taken an HS&E test before, or applied for certain card schemes (CSCS, CPCS, CISRS).
Where can I take a test?
You need to visit a CITB approved centre to sit a test, and there are three different types:
- A fixed test centre operated by your delivery provider – Find your nearest test centre
- An independent Internet Test Centre (ITC) – These are operated by colleges, training providers or commercial organisations (you will need to contact them directly to book a test)
- A mobile testing event – These can be arranged at a suitable location for a group of candidates. Call the dedicated mobile testing booking line on 0344 994 4492 or review further information about Mobile Testing.
What to expect when I arrive at the Test Centre:
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your test starts
- Bring your confirmation booking letter/email with you
- Bring ID that includes your photo and your signature - See a full list of acceptable ID (PDF,371KB) that you can use
If you don’t have suitable ID you can use an Identification Waiver Form (PDF, 53KB). Details on how to complete and use the form are included on the document.
Staff at the test centre will check your documents when you arrive. You will not be able to sit your test if you don’t have the relevant documents, and you will lose your fee.