Pathways into construction

Bids are invited for funds to help under-represented groups get jobs in construction, and get into training which leads to jobs in construction.

This commission aims to connect employers with people who don’t traditionally enter construction. It will also benefit those who are not in training or employment and want to enter the sector, but find it hard to do so.

There is a shortage of skilled workers in the construction industry. Migrants have filled the gap in both skilled and unskilled work, but their numbers are likely to drop after Brexit. Employers will need to recruit skilled and unskilled labour from other sources.

Currently, some groups are under-represented in the construction industry. Employers should look for ways to recruit more workers from these priority groups:

  • Young people not in education, training or work, particularly where there are networks to help already in place
  • Long-term unemployed (for longer than 12 months)
  • Service leavers (who left military service at least a year ago)
  • Women wishing to join construction
  • Full-time learners (particularly those studying for construction and built environment diplomas).

Any organisation which can best deliver the results we are looking for.

The commission has a budget of up to £5m to cover a number of projects. Projects can last up to three years in duration.

We aim commission at least one project for each priority group above. Your project may address one or more of the groups.

CITB will fund up to 70% of the project cost. You will have to supply the other 30% in match funding.

This commission should result in new ways for all the priority groups to find employment in the industry. These pathways should be transferable between different areas in the construction sector. This should lead to a reduction in the skills shortage.

This is a two-stage process.

1. Register your interest in the commission by completing the expression of interest form. Please answer all the questions. This form will close on Monday 7 January 2019 at 5pm. 

Complete an expression of interest

2. The funding team will review your form and contact you to discuss your idea.

If your idea matches all the criteria for this commission, we will guide you through the application process.

Project requirements

Each project should show how it has engaged with SMEs and the results of this engagement.
It should provide details of:

  • The contributing factors that lead to the priority groups being ready for employment in the construction industry.
  • The benefit that the project brought to the construction firms involved in the project.

Target groups

Projects should target:

  • Young people not in education, training or work, particularly where there are networks to help already in place
  • Long-term unemployed (for longer than 12 months)
  • Service leavers who left the military at least 12 months ago
  • Women wishing to join construction
  • Full-time learners (particularly those studying for construction and built environment diplomas).

Submit your application form no later than 5.00pm Monday 21 January 2019.

CITB has worked with industry to research the skills gap in several areas of construction.

Read summaries of the research to inform your application:

The funding team is hosting webinars to support you in your application.

Web design by S8080