The course includes practical training in the following:
- Hand and power tools
- Interpreting information
- Principles of setting out
- Suspended ceiling systems
- Cavity barriers
- Demountable partitions
- Drylining partition systems
- Drylinings and encasements
- Drylining finishing
- Raised access flooring.
You’ll also gain competence in:
- Employment responsibilities and rights
- Health and safety
- Drug and alcohol awareness
- Mobile towers
- Fire fighting
- Safe use of ladders
- Manual handling
- First aid and theory.
Teaching and assessment
- five weeks over two blocks
Periods between college training are spent on site with your employer, developing work-based skills and knowledge.
Teaching is based on classroom-based theory and workshop-based practicals, as well as individual tutorials and progress reviews. You will be assessed through:
- Written and practical assessments (mapped to Diploma and NVQ Diploma competence levels)
- Site visits (via an assessor)
- A synoptic practical test
- An assessment (delivered via a test at the end of each unit)
- On-line multiple-choice assessment test.
Qualifications you gain
- Level 2 Construction Diploma in Interior Systems (Ceiling Fixing/Relocatable Partitions)
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Interior Systems (Ceiling Fixing/Relocatable Partitions)
- Level 1 Functional Skills
- Employment Responsibilities and Rights
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
No formal requirements, but it’s useful to have GCSE grades A*-C in English, maths and technology.
- Good numeracy skills are necessary as you’ll be calculating surface areas and volumes
- Physical fitness
- A head for heights
- The ability to follow instructions accurately
You will be paid while you learn.
The following CITB grants are available for employers to fund their apprentices on this course:
If you applied for your aprenticeship through the Skills Funding Agency, only applicants aged between 16 and18 who have not been placed on a training scheme before are guaranteed full funding.
How to apply
Call 0300 456 5037 for course dates and how to apply.
After this course
You can be assessed for higher NVQs at the National Construction College. We provide details to all trainees.