CPCS Tower Crane A04a & b
Cost: £2,940 no VAT charged
Duration: 9 days
Mandatory Entry Requirements: See Mandatory entry requirements below
Funding: See Grants and funding below
Course code: DCW03
This 9 day course is for people with limited or no experience of using tower cranes.
It teaches you how to operate a tower crane safely and productively.
On passing the technical tests, we will apply for the CPCS trained operator card (red card) on your behalf.
Please make sure that you have read and understood the entry requirements (see below) and booking terms and conditions for this course.
- Operate the tower crane safely and productively
- Respond to the recognised signals for controlling crane operations
- Decide whether a particular load is within the capacity of the crane
- Carry out minor adjustments and routine maintenance
- Understand the capabilities of the equipment and any relevant safety precautions, including the out of service procedure
- Operate safe-load indicators and overload warning devices
- Understand the effect of the working radius on the lifting capacity of the machine
- Secure, check and maintain counterweights effectively
- Gauge the effect of shock loading on structural strength and stability
- Recognise the principles of safe slinging, the types and capacities of lifting gear, security and balance of load
- Observe the statutory regulations in respect of lifting equipment and the operator’s own legal responsibilities.
Teaching and assessment
- 8 days training - classroom lessons and practical exercises
- 1 day assessment - CPCS technical tests.
Qualifications you get
- CPCS Trained Operator Card (red card) on passing the CPCS technical tests
- CITB National Construction College certificate.
Mandatory entry requirements
- CITB health, safety and environment test passed no more than two years before the course start date
- Good understanding of spoken and written English
- Comfortable working at heights. If you have no experience of working at heights, you can try out climbing one of our cranes before you book. Call us on 0344 994 4433 for more information.
By booking a course, you are agreeing to abide by our Terms and Conditions.
Grants and funding
Grants are available for eligible employers. For further information please visit our grant pages.
Please make sure that you have read and understood the entry requirements and booking terms and conditions for this course.
Need more information?
Call 0344 994 4433 for more information about this course.
After gaining experience on site, you must complete a NVQ/SVQ level 2 within 2 years to get the CPCS competent operator card (blue card).