CISRS Operative Training Scheme (COTS)
Cost: £165 (Norfolk), £180 (Kent and Scotland) – no VAT charged
Duration: 1 day
Locations: Kent, Norfolk, Scotland
Mandatory entry requirements: See Mandatory entry requirements below
Funding: See Grants and funding below
Course code: COTS
This 1 day course is for people who are new to scaffolding.
Existing CISRS Scaffolding Labourer (green) Card holders also need to take this course to renew their card every five years.
The course teaches the basics of the industry and how to work safely with scaffolding and access equipment.
On successful completion of the course we will apply on your behalf for the CISRS Scaffolder Trainee or CISRS Scaffolder Labour Card.
Please make sure that you have read and understood the entry requirements (see below) and booking terms and conditions for this course.
- General responsibilities
- Basic scaffolding terminology (components and application)
- Servicing of equipment (tube, fittings, boards etc.)
- Boards and stock – quality control
- Health, welfare, hygiene and housekeeping
- Electrical safety
- Fire prevention and control
- Noise and vibration
- Working at height
- Accident prevention and reporting
- Slips, trips and falls
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Transport safety on site
- Equipment and tools
- Manual handling (including loading and unloading)
- Lifting equipment using rope and wheel
- Questions/test paper.
Teaching and assessment
The course is one day (eight hours) long.
It includes a minimum of six hours’ tuition, and practical exercises and exams.
Qualifications you get
- CISRS Scaffolding Operative Training Scheme (COTS) Certificate
- The college will apply on your behalf for a CISRS scaffolders labourers or CISRS scaffolders trainee card.
Mandatory entry requirements
- Good understanding of spoken and written English. Please contact us if you have any concerns in this area
- Delegates wishing to book one of these courses will be required to have a CITB HS&E Test (or accepted exemption) in place at the time of booking. The CITB HS&E Test (or accepted exemption) needs to have been passed within the previous 23 months before the course start date.
By booking a course, you are agreeing to abide by our Terms and Conditions.
Grants and funding
Grants are available for eligible employers. For further information please visit our grant pages.
Please make sure that you have read and understood the entry requirements (see above) and booking terms and conditions for this course.
Need more information?
Call 0344 994 4433 for more information about this course.
Get your CISRS card
As well as passsing the COTS course, you must pass the Health, safety and environment test to apply for the relevant CISRS card.