Available specialist applied-skills programmes (SAP)
The specialist applied-skills programmes (SAP) are 18-month long new entrant training programmes. The programmes lead to a vocational qualification (NVQ/SVQ), and are considered by trade associations and employers as 'sector apprenticeships'.
All SAP training providers have been awarded delivery contracts by CITB to cover new entrant registrations until 31 March 2021.
These contracts may be replaced by relevant trailblazer apprenticeships if and when they become available. Elements of the SAP programmes are eligible for a short course grant.
New entrants must have a full-time contract of direct employment (PAYE) with a Levy registered employer. There is no upper age limit, but employers tend to prefer to take on new entrants who are 18 years old and above.
Read Guidance for registering onto a SAP for further details on getting specialist vocational training.
Specialist training providers have been contracted for the following specialist occupations:
- Demolition site operative for Scotland and Wales (SAP is no longer available in England)
Drilling and sawing
Heritage craft trades
- Heritage hard metal roofing specialist
- Heritage hard and soft metals roofing operative
- Heritage lead roofing specialist
- Heritage roof slating and tiling
- Heritage solid plastering
- Heritage stone mason
In situ flooring
Insulation and building treatments
- In situ treatment of timber and damp operative
- Internal wall insulation operative
- Structural waterproofing (below ground)
- Piling operative is no longer available as a SAP as it is now a Trailblazer Apprenticeship standard. Please contact the Federation of Piling Specialists (FPS) for details.
Plant hire and sales
Road safety marking
- Building envelope operative
- Hard metal roofing operative
- Hard and soft metals roofing operative
- Lead roofing operative
- Liquid roofing operative
- Pitched roofing installation operative
- Single ply roofing installation operative