Careers and recruitment, Learning resources
Arcadis; Career Ready; Colmore Tang; Wilmott Dixon; BAM Construct UK; Carillion; Turner & Townsend; Engineering UK; North West Construction Hub
Commercial, Housing, Infrastructure, Specialist
The Think Build project is a pilot programme adapted from the award-winning Think Logistics programme set up in 2014 as a partnership between several logistics firms and the charity Career Ready.
Its aim is to provide an effective method of employer engagement in schools. Industry volunteers deliver workshops to younger teenagers, leading to an in-depth programme of mentoring, masterclasses and work placements for 16-18 year olds.
- Establish 6 ‘Think Build Clusters’ comprised of 24 construction firms
- 600 employees to deliver over 1,000 incidences of engagement activity to Year 10, 11, 12 & 13 students
31 Jan 2017
31 Jul 2018
End of project summary
The Think Build project was completed in December 2018, having successfully partnered with Career Ready to engage young people in the construction industry. In total, 523 benefited from the project.
- First of all, the project provided 185 young people aged 16-18 with a structured programme which gave each young person a mentor who provided career information and guidance. The programme involved completing a series of masterclasses, all of which focused on a different strand of employability.
- Secondly, the project also helped to place 123 young people into a work experience/ internship with a construction employer, for 1 to 4 weeks.
- Finally, the Think Build Insight day workshops were delivered to 215 students by Wates, with 580 students attending the workshops over all.