On this page:
- Does the levy apply to you?
- How much is it?
- What's the purpose of the CITB Levy?
- How we use the Levy
- How levy funds are distributed across industry
CITB is empowered to impose a levy on employers in the construction industry.
The levy applies to all employers ‘engaged wholly or mainly in construction industry activities’. In other words, when construction activities take up more than half of your total employees’ time (including subcontractors).
How much levy you pay is based on your total wage bill (the amount you pay your employees in a year).
Here the word ‘employees’ specifically means individuals on the payroll and Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) subcontractors who you make a CIS deduction from. This is defined by Industrial Training legislation.
Levy rates for the 2021 - 2023 Levy Assessments are confirmed as 0.35% for PAYE and 1.25% for Net CIS under the 2022 Levy Order.
There are some exemptions and reductions in the levy for small employers. Find out more about levy rates and how they are assessed
To help you see what your CITB Levy may look like, we have produced a simple Levy calculator.
The CITB Levy is used to support the construction industry to have a skilled, competent and inclusive workforce, now and in the future.
It is dedicated to ensuring the construction workforce has the right skills for now and the future, based around our three strategic priorities:
- Standards and qualifications
- Training and development
CITB uses the levy to:
- support training development through grants and funding.
- promote the construction industry as a great career choice and offer high-quality apprenticeships.
- identify skills needs across the construction industry
- develop occupational standards and qualifications.
CITB’s levy supports the British construction industry to develop the skilled workforce it needs.
The table below (data from 2021-2022 annual statistics) shows how levy funds are distributed to construction employers of all sizes to support training:
- Micro employers: 1 to 9 employees
- Small employers: 10 to 49 employees
- Medium employers: 50 to 249 employees
- Large employers: 250+ employees
|Category||Micro employers||Small employers||Medium employers||Large employers||Other||Total|
|Levy funds from employers||£18.6m||£30m||£27.4m||£32.1m||£0.2m||£108.3m|
|CITB grants and support for training||£21.1m||£26.4m||£25m||£28.3m||£0.9m||£101.7m|
|Number of employers claiming grant and other support||8,335||5,766||1,663||299||88||16,151|