Short qualification grant
Grant increases from 1 April 2023
The Construction Skills Certificate Scheme (CSCS) has announced its plan to move all Industry Accreditation (IA) cardholders to a recognised qualification. You can find more information on the withdrawal of Industry Accreditation by visiting the CSCS website.
To support construction workers transition from an IA card to a qualification, we are increasing the grant for specific supervision NVQ Diplomas/SVQs to £1,250 and specific management NVQ Diplomas/SVQs to £1,500 for achievements from 1 April 2023 as listed below:
- Level 3/SCQF Level 6 in Built Environment Design
- Level 3/SCQF Level 6 in Construction Contracting Operations – [any subcategory]
- Level 3/SCQF Level 6 in Occupational Work Supervision (Construction)
- Level 3/SCQF Level 6 in Site Inspection
- Level 3 in Surveying, Property and Maintenance
- Level 4/SCQF Level 7 in Construction Site Supervision
- Level 6/SCQF Level 10 in Construction Site Management
- Level 6/SCQF Level 9 in Built Environment Design Management
- Level 6/SCQF Level 9 in Construction Contracting Operations Management – [any subcategory]
- Level 6 in Senior Site Inspection
- Level 7/SCQF Level 11 in Construction Senior Management
On this page:
- Who can apply for this grant?
- Which qualifications are covered for grant?
- How much is it?
- How to apply
- Have you sent us your bank details?
We pay grants for the achievement of approved short qualifications in core construction skills. These include:
- NVQ at Levels 2 and above and SCQF at Levels 5 and above
- National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety
- Plant-related vocational qualification (VQ) achievements
- Additional units related to the Level 2 Plant Operations VQ
Qualifications can be delivered in a number of ways including:
- off-the-job training
- through on-site assessment (OSAT)
- through experienced worker practical assessment (EWPA)
- by distance and e-learning
- outside conventional working hours (evenings or weekends)
Short qualification grants are not available to support individual achievements that form part of other longer qualifications. Please see the Long qualification grant page or Apprenticeship grants page for details.
Who can apply for this grant?
You can apply if you’re a CITB Registered employer and up to date with your Levy Returns. As well as fulfilling our general Grants Scheme policy and specific requirements for this grant.
You can apply for this grant for all directly employed staff on the payroll, business owners and partners, and all subcontractors.
Which qualifications are covered for grant?
We use a specific criteria to judge which qualifications can be supported by grants. To see how we decide which qualifications are covered, click here.
If you know of a construction related qualification that is not listed, you can submit a suggest a qualification form and we will assess it against eligibility criteria.
The standard rate for full short qualifications is £600. There are a number of specific qualifications which attract different rates, as listed in the table below.
|Achieved before 01 April 2023
|Achieved on or after 01 April 2023
Standard rate short qualifications
Specific Management qualifications
Specific Supervision qualifications
Specific Rainscreen Cladding qualifications
Level 2 Plant Operations VQ – Additional unit
Visit the list of qualifications we pay grant for to see which grant rate is available for your specific achievement.
Short qualification grant is payable up to a maximum of four grants at each level per individual. You can only apply once for an individual for the same achievement.
Level 2 Plant VQ units are payable up to a maximum of three per individual. The plant VQ unit achievements are also included in the cap of four Level 2 achievements per individual.
Where there is a previous grant for a full plant operations VQ, future plant operations achievements will only be considered for the plant related VQ unit grant.
How to apply
You must submit your application for achievement grant within 52 weeks of the achievement date, download and complete the application form (PDF, 228KB) and send it to us at the email address below.
If you wish to apply for multiple learners at once, download and complete the bulk grant application (Excel, 178KB).
- Save and email your completed application form to email@example.com
- Attach a copy of the achievement certificate or achievement notification email from the awarding body. Your application cannot be processed without this evidence
For support on applying for this grant you can contact your local CITB Adviser or our Customer Services team on 0344 994 4455.
Have you sent us your bank details?
Grants are paid by bank transfer. If we do not hold your current bank details, please complete and submit the secure online Bacs Direct Credit Authorisation Form to receive grant payments