The Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) has been rated as an ‘outstanding’ apprenticeships provider by Ofsted for the second consecutive inspection.
This makes CITB one of the very few providers to remain outstanding under the new, more demanding inspection framework.
CITB is the largest provider of construction apprenticeships in Britain, supporting around 15,000 people each year.
Following October’s thorough inspection, Ofsted graded CITB as ‘outstanding’ in:
- Effectiveness of leadership and management
- Quality of teaching, learning and assessment
- Personal development, behaviour and welfare
- Outcomes for learners
Read the full Ofsted report
During the week-long inspection the Ofsted team observed learning sessions, assessments, and progress reviews. They also undertook group and individual interviews, telephone interviews, calls and online questionnaires to gather the views of learners and employers.
The evidence from this activity informed the inspection team’s judgement and is reflected in the report, with some of the key findings being:
- Leaders and managers collaborate very effectively with a wide range of partners to provide apprenticeship programmes that meet national, regional and local priorities exceptionally well
- Tutors and apprenticeship officers are well qualified and use their industrial experience very well to ensure industry standards are reflected in their interactions with apprentices. They provide highly effective support and reviews of progress
- Apprentices make exceptional progress from their starting points and achieve well. The proportion of apprentices who achieve their qualifications has increased and is now significantly higher than apprentices on construction programmes with similar providers
- Almost all apprentices continue working with their employer on completion of their apprenticeship. Where appropriate, the majority of intermediate apprentices progress to an advanced apprenticeship with the same company
- Employers value highly the support they receive from CITB staff to make the most of these apprenticeship opportunities which benefit their businesses significantly.
Steve Hearty, CITB Director of Apprenticeships, said: “It is a fantastic achievement that Ofsted recognise CITB as an ‘outstanding’ apprenticeship provider for the second consecutive time. It is a testament to of all of our colleagues hard work, that we have improved our offer significantly since the last inspection.”
“Apprentices are the lifeblood and future of our industry. It is therefore vital that the right training is in place to produce the highly-skilled workforce required, and help encourage more talented people from all backgrounds into construction.”
Gillian Cain, CITB Head of Apprenticeships, added: “We are extremely proud to receive this ‘outstanding’ rating from Ofsted. The consistently positive views of learners and employers from across England were brilliant to see, and a fantastic endorsement of what we do.”
“It was particularly pleasing to see that the inspection highlighted our very own plant simulators as an innovative teaching strategy which provide exceptionally detailed performance analysis for apprentices.”
“We must continue to work with industry to ensure the development of further modern methods of construction training such as those identified in CITB’s recent research report; A New Reality: Immersive Learning in Construction.”
Read ‘A New Reality: Immersive Learning in Construction’ research.