A review of health, safety and environment (HS&E) test is taking place to ensure it continues to contribute towards a qualified workforce with the right knowledge, skills and training.
Phase 2 of the redevelopment is now live.
We have carried out a substantial review of all our questions to ensure they remain fit for purpose and up-to-date. We have also introduced three further new question styles, enabling us to ask questions in the most engaging and effective way.
These question styles are:
- drag and drop image
- hot spot
- hot area
Revision materials have also been updated to include all of the new and revised content and have been available to purchase since 3 April 2018.
We continue to update FAQs in line with feedback and have been working hard on Phase 3 which will see the biggest changes so far and will include the following points:
- Full review of the operatives test including a job task analysis, which will outline the future content areas for the operatives test, how many questions should be asked in each area and how the test should be scored.
- Embedding of behaviours within test questions, resulting in the removal of the separate behavioural case study questions.
- Engagement around our MAP and specialist tests, working with the experts to ensure that these tests meet the needs of the industry.
- Revised revision materials to incorporate changes made throughout this phase.
- Research into revision materials in the future, what these should look like and how they can work best for candidates.
Industry engagement is more important than ever for Phase 3 of the project. Work has already started but there are still opportunities to get involved. If you would like to be involved in any aspects of the project, as detailed above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will continue working with industry stakeholders to expand and develop the content of the HS&E test. To find out more about the proposed changes, read the project phases below.
What are the new question styles?
The following question styles will be introduced into the test in three phases:
From 8 January 2018
- Multiple-choice with images (these styles of question already exist but more will be introduced)
- Drag and drop with text
From 1 June 2018
- Drag and drop with images
- Hot spot
- Hot area
From June 2019
- Drag and drop paragraph text
- Drag and drop ordering
Use the Try the new question styles button at the top of this page to see examples of all the new question styles and to have a go at answering them.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
If you have any questions about changes to the test, please read our FAQs.