A review of Health, safety and environment (HS&E) test is taking place to ensure it continues to contribute towards a qualified workforce with the right knowledge, skills and training.
Since the launch of Phase 1, feedback has been positive around the introduction of the new questions styles and pass marks have remained consistent. The project team have been working hard on Phases 2 and 3.
Phase 2 of the development will launch on the 1 June 2018 and includes:
- An annual review of the questions
- The introduction of new question styles including drag and drop image, hot spot and hot area
- Additional questions in the styles, drag and drop text and multiple choice with images (first introduced in January 2018)
- Revised and improved revision materials, with new functionality and a better study experience, with all answers now at the back of the books
- Updated FAQs to include common themes received through feedback.
To prepare candidates for these changes the supporting revision materials launched on the 3 April. The books have been updated to include all the new and revised questions that will appear in the test from 1 June 2018.
The digital products (apps, downloads and DVDs) have also been updated to include new content and improved functionality such as a new question-style practice area.
Please note: If you are due to take your test before the 1 June 2018 you need to revise from the 2017 version of the revision materials.
For any tests taken after the 1 June 2018 you should revise from the new 2018 revision materials.
We will continue working with industry stakeholders to expand and develop the content of the HS&E test. To find out more about the proposed changes, read the project phases below.
What are the new question styles?
The following question styles will be introduced into the test in three phases:
From 8 January 2018
- Multiple-choice with images (these styles of question already exist but more will be introduced).
- Drag and drop with text.
From 1 June 2018
- Drag and drop with images.
- Hot spot.
- Hot area.
From 3 June 2019
- Drag and drop paragraph text.
- Drag and drop ordering.
Use the Try the new question styles button at the top of this page to see examples of all the new question styles and to have a go at answering them.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
If you have any questions about changes to the test, please read our FAQs.