How to find and recruit an apprentice
An apprenticeship combines learning at a college/training provider with on-site experience to give apprentices the right mix of technical and practical skills.
New Entrant Support Team (NEST)
If you're looking to expand your team and bring an apprentice into your business, the New Entrant Support Team (NEST) is here to help you, and employers across the UK, successfully navigate the pathway to hiring an apprentice.
This hands-on, free support covers areas such as recruitment, help with the paperwork, accessing grants and funding, and ongoing mentoring throughout the apprenticeship. Get in touch with your local New Entrant Employer Support Advisor today.
Why should you hire an apprentice?
Apprenticeships are the bedrock of the construction industry. They are preparing the next generation of construction workers and represent an exciting option for both apprentice and employer.
You can employ apprentices at different levels, from school leavers and university graduates, to people who want to further their careers or change career direction completely.
Not only is the apprentice gaining from the experience, as an employer you are too. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship which helps the apprentice learn and develop new skills that directly improve your business; helping both to grow.
Apprentices can benefit your business in many ways:
- Develop specific skills your business needs
- A more cost-effective way to recruit staff
- Earn more money: 78% of employers say apprentices improve their productivity
- An extra pair of hands allows you to take on more work
- Future-proof your business
- Apprenticeships can be flexibly tailored to the needs of your business
- Employing an apprentice can teach your whole workforce new skills
- Energy, enthusiasm and motivation - apprentices bring all three
Financial support available
An employee who has recently completed an apprenticeship increases productivity in their business by £214 per week.
Micro, small and medium-sized businesses can have up to 95% of their apprenticeship training costs covered by Government grants.
You could be eligible for up to £11,000 in CITB Apprenticeship Grants
- CITB attendance grant of £2,500 per apprentice per year
- CITB achievement grant of £3,500 per apprentice, awarded on successful completion of the apprenticeship.