Grant rates depend on the higher apprenticeship type and the duration of the course.
Rates are fixed for the duration of the apprenticeship as given in the Grants Scheme year the apprenticeship starts, even if they change in later Grants Scheme years, or if the apprentice changes employer.
Programmes under the new higher apprenticeship standards may vary in length, so attendance grants are prorated based on their duration.
From 1 April 2020 new higher apprentices will be entitled to the grant rates detailed below:
|Each year of attendance
|Achievement of apprenticeship framework/EPA
Only apprentices starting their higher apprenticeship with their provider after 1 April 2019 will be eligible for the newly increased payment rates.
You can apply for a £3,500 achievement grant on successful completion of the qualification
See Apprenticeships for England and Wales for the apprenticeships this grant will support.
See Apprenticeships for Scotland for the apprenticeships this grant will support.
If you do not see a higher apprenticeship in the current list of those eligible for grant, you can complete an online form to suggest it for consideration.
We will continue to make payments at the appropriate rate for the remainder of the programme for higher apprentices who started their training and registered for grant support before the start of the 2019/2020 Grants Scheme year (1 April 2019).
The rate before 1 April 2019 for each year of attendance on a higher apprenticeship is £1,125.
The rate for all apprentices who have achieved a higher apprentice framework achievement or EPA before 1 April 2019 is £3,125.
The same applies to apprentices who qualified for Enhanced Apprenticeship Support (formerly known as Supplementary Payment).
The new achievement grant of £3,500 will be paid to all apprentices who have achieved their apprenticeships after 1 April 2020, even if they started before 1 April 2020.
You may apply for grant for up to two apprenticeships per level per apprentice, if:
- the apprentice takes on a second apprenticeship in a different occupation or trade, or
- the apprentice progresses to another level within the same occupation or trade.
Change of employers
- If an apprentice changes employer during their apprenticeship, attendance and achievement grants will be paid pro-rata according to the proportion of the total training package completed with each employer.
- While you receive a higher apprenticeship grant you can’t apply for any other grants for the same apprentice, except for short course achievements and plant qualifications which are necessary, appropriate and not included within the apprenticeship.
- You must meet the cost of other additional training.