Built-up felt roofing apprenticeship course
Duration: 24 months
Structure: 18 weeks of training over 18 months, plus on the job experience
Location: Inchinnan (Glasgow)
Start date: Continuous start dates available
Download the delivery programme (PDF, 94KB)
This apprenticeship course is for people who want to gain an academic qualification in built-up felt roofing, while gaining professional experience.
You’ll receive training in the theory of built-up felt roofing, as well as enjoy comprehensive practical experience in the featured categories of training.
The course will cover practical principles in:
You’ll learn basic skills, knowledge and awareness in:
You’ll also focus on personal skills in:
Teaching and assessment
- Nine weeks in training blocks throughout the year (although training blocks may vary in Scotland).
- Nine weeks in training blocks throughout the year (training blocks may vary in Scotland).
You'll learn through a mix of classroom-based theory and practical training. You’ll spend periods between college training on site with your employer, developing work-based skills and knowledge.
Assessment will take place via:
- Written and practical assessments (mapped to Diploma and NVQ Diploma competence levels)
- A site visit to assess you for the NVQ level 2 in Built-up Felt Roofing
- A synoptic practical challenge
- An assessment
- On-line multiple-choice assessment test.
Qualifications you gain
- Level 2 NVQ Construction Diploma in Built-up Felt Roofing
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Applied Waterproof Membranes (Built-up Felt Roofing)
- Level 1 Functional Skills
- Employment Responsibilities and Rights
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills. You may also gain value-added qualifications in first aid and health and safety, along with other industry-specific subjects.
Mandatory entry requirements
No formal requirements, but it’s useful to have GCSE grades A*-C in English, maths and technology.
- Good communication skills
- Physical fitness
- A head for heights
- Technical competence.
You will be paid while you learn.
The following CITB grants are available for employers to fund their apprentices on this course:
If you applied for your apprenticeship through the Education and Skills Funding Agency, only applicants aged between 16 and 18 who have not been placed on a training scheme before are guaranteed full funding.
After this course
You can be assessed for higher NVQs at the National Construction College. We provide details to all trainees.