Highway maintenance apprenticeship course
Duration: 2 years (may vary in Scotland)
Structure: 18 weeks training plus on-the-job experience
Location: NCC Norfolk, Birmingham or Scotland, and your workplace
Date: See How to apply below
Funding: See Funding below
This apprenticeship course is for people who want to start a career in civil engineering specialising in highways, and want to gain professional experience and an academic qualification.
You will learn how to build, maintain and repair public highways and footpaths, including training in construction technology.
At the end of the training you gain a level 2 Diploma in Construction.
You will learn the skills and knowledge you need to work on highways, including:
- Interpreting information
- Estimating resources
- Basic building methods
- Building elements.
Practical training includes:
- Establishing work area protection
- Segregation of highway works
- Locating and protecting utilities in the highway
- Reinstatement of highways.
You’ll also gain competence in:
- Employment responsibilities and rights
- Health and safety
- Drug and alcohol awareness
- Safe use of ladders
- Manual handling
- Safe use of small plant.
Teaching and assessment
Teaching and training
- 18 weeks training at NCC: a mix of classroom-based theory and simulated site activities.
- You spend the remaining time with your employer, gaining experience on site.
You’ll have individual tutorials and progress reviews and will be assessed by:
- Written and practical assessments (mapped to Diploma and NVQ Diploma competence levels)
- A site visit by an assessor
- A synoptic practical challenge
- On-line multiple-choice assessment test.
Qualifications you gain
- Level 2 Construction Diploma in Highway Maintenance
- NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Construction
- Level 1 Functional Skills
- Personal learning and thinking skills.
You can also choose to study additional qualifications in health and safety, and other industry-specific subjects.
- Physical fitness
- Problem solving.
You will be paid while you learn.
The following CITB grants are available for employers to fund their apprentices on this course:
If you applied for your apprenticeship through the Education and Skills Funding Agency, only applicants aged between 16 and 18 who have not been placed on a training scheme before are guaranteed full funding.
How to apply
Call 0300 456 5037 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for course dates and how to apply.
After this course
- After completing this course, you could work in design, finance, sales or management in the construction industry
- Further qualifications include NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Construction Contracting Operations and the NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Site Supervisory.