The course includes practical training in:
- Carrying out safe working practices in construction
- Information, quantities and communicating with others
- Building methods and construction technology
- Applying built-up bituminous roofing
- Preparing decking for built-up bituminous roofing
- Repairing and maintaining built-up bituminous roofing
- Preparing background surfaces
- Preparing materials and components
- Storing resources ready for use
- Providing setting out for applied waterproof membranes
- Repairing surface defects
- Applying materials to the structural fabric
- Roll and pour techniques
- Torch-on techniques
- Establishing the suitability of the work area and access equipment
- Contributing to efficient working practices
- Abrasive wheels
You’ll also gain competence in:
- Employment responsibilities and rights
- Health and safety
- Drug and alcohol awareness
- Safe use of ladders
- Manual handling
Teaching and assessment
- Nine weeks in training blocks throughout the year (although training blocks may vary in Scotland).
- Nine weeks in training blocks throughout the year (training blocks may vary in Scotland)
You'll learn through a mix of classroom-based theory and practical training.You’ll spend periods between college training on site with your employer, developing work-based skills and knowledge.
Assesment will take place via:
- Written and practical assessments (mapped to Diploma and NVQ Diploma competence levels)
- A site visit to assess you for the NVQ level 2 in Built-up Felt Roofing.
- A synoptic practical challenge
- An assessment
- On-line mulitiple-choice assessment test
Qualifications you gain
- Level 2 NVQ Construction Diploma in Built-up Felt Roofing
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Applied Waterproof Membranes (Built-up Felt Roofing)
- Level 1 Functional Skills
- Employment Responsibilities and Rights
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills.You may also gain value-added qualifications in first aid and health and safety, along with other industry-specific subjects
No formal requirements, but it’s useful to have GCSE grades A*-C in English, maths and technology.
- Good communication skills
- Physical fitness
- A head for heights
- Technical competence
You will be paid while you learn.
The following CITB grants are available for employers to fund their apprentices on this course:
If you applied for your aprenticeship through the Skills Funding Agency, only applicants aged between 16 and18 who have not been placed on a training scheme before are guaranteed full funding.
How to apply
Call 0300 456 5037 for course dates and how to apply.
After this course
You can be assessed for higher NVQs at the National Construction College. We provide details to all trainees.