You will learn the skills and knowledge you need to work on highways, including:
- Interpreting information
- Estimating resources
- Basic building methods
- Building elements.
Practical training includes:
- Establishing work area protection
- Segregation of highway works
- Locating and protecting utilities in the highway
- Reinstatement of highways.
You’ll also gain competence in:
- Employment responsibilities and rights
- Health and safety
- Drug and alcohol awareness
- Safe use of ladders
- Manual handling
- Safe use of small plant
Teaching and assessment
Teaching and training
- 18 weeks training at NCC: a mix of classroom-based theory and simulated site activities.
- You spend the remaining time with your employer, gaining experience on site.
You’ll have individual tutorials and progress reviews and will be assessed by:
- Written and practical assessments (mapped to Diploma and NVQ Diploma competence levels)
- A site visit by an assessor
- A synoptic practical challenge
- On-line multiple-choice assessment test.
Qualifications you gain
- Level 2 Construction Diploma in Highway Maintenance
- NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Construction
- Level 1 Functional Skills
- Personal learning and thinking skills
You can also choose to study additional qualifications in health and safety, and other industry-specific subjects.
- Physical fitness
- Problem solving
You will be paid while you learn.
The following CITB grants are available for employers to fund their apprentices on this course:
If you applied for an apprenticeship through the Skills Funding Agency, only applicants aged between 16 and18 who have not been placed on a training scheme before are guaranteed full funding.
How to apply
Call 0300 456 5037 for course dates and how to apply.