EUSR Utilities Excavation Support: Category 5 (Install, Inspect & Remove Proprietary Support Systems)
Cost: £795 no VAT charged
Duration: 4 days
Locations: Norfolk and Birmingham
Mandatory Entry Requirements: See Mandatory Entry Requirements below
Funding: See Grants and funding below
Course code: EXSC5
This course is designed for utilities operatives and supervisors working in environments where more complex excavation shoring activities are required. The course builds on developing the competencies required in the Category 3 and 4 courses and moves on to cover hydraulic frame shaft bracing.
This course meets the requirements of the National Skills Academy for Power Category 5 excavations standard using hydraulic proprietary shoring equipment to greater ground depths.
Please make sure that you have read and understood the entry requirements (see below) and booking terms and conditions for this course.
Classroom-based theory will cover:
- Health and safety requirements
- Different shoring systems
- Choosing the correct system
- Soil conditions
- Angle of repose
- The effects of weather/water
- Service drawings.
Practical activities include:
- The installation of shallow trench (small hydraulic frame and MAP Box)
- Installation of small shaft braces
- The correct use of CAT and use of drawings for cable location
- Push and dig exercise
- The installation of a trench box
- The installation of a slit trench.
Teaching and assessment
The course consists of a combination of classroom-based theory and practical sessions.
- There will be ongoing tutor observation/assessment
- You will also have to complete a short written test at the end of day two.
Qualifications you get
- On completion, you will be registered for the Energy and Utilities Skills Register (EUSR) card, endorsed with the Category 5 Excavation Scheme
- This card is valid for a period of five years.
Mandatory entry requirements
- Reasonable level of mobility
- Ability to lift and move loads
- Good understanding of spoken and written English. Please contact us if you have any concerns in this area.
By booking a course, you are agreeing to abide by our Terms and Conditions.
Grants and funding
Grants are available for eligible employers. For further information please visit our grant pages.
Please make sure that you have read and understood the entry requirements and booking terms and conditions for this course.
Need more information?
Call 0344 994 4433 for more information about this course.