Despite political and economic uncertainties UK construction will grow between, 2018-22. Infrastructure and housing will be the biggest growth-drivers. There is now a national focus on the skills and employment challenges facing the construction sector and the country.
According to the latest Construction Skills Network report construction output is expected to grow by 1.3% over the next five years, with 158,000 jobs to be created.
- Infrastructure and homebuilding show the strongest output growth
- We expect the infrastructure sector to grow, on average, 3.1%
- Housing output, both public and private, is expected to grow by 2.8% and 2.2% respectively
- Wales, South West, West Midlands and North West will grow strongly
- North East will see decline
- Job growth is due to be slower but construction will still need 31,600 new workers per year
What does this mean for construction jobs?
This means that demand for some trades will be higher than others. The jobs most in demand over the next five years in the UK are:
- Non construction professionals, technical and IT staff – 3,810
- Wood tradespeople and interior fitters – 3,070
- Other construction process managers – 2,770
- Other construction professionals and technical staff – 2,140
- Labourers – 1,870
What’s CITB doing to bridge the skills gap?
We’re committed to helping construction employers deliver the pipeline of work faster, better and more efficiently. Using our evidence base on skills requirements, we will ensure employers can access the high quality training their workforce needs.
We will also help construction attract and retain new recruits. Go Construct is a web portal showcasing all of the great career opportunities available in our sector.
We are also improving our funding to employers, through a reformed grants scheme that invests in the most needed skills and makes it easier for companies of all sizes to access funding.
How can you benefit?
If you’re keen on building and want a fulfilling and financially rewarding career delivering some of the iconic projects in your area, visit Go Construct.
To find out how to access grants to train your workforce, visit CITB funding.