CITB has developed this standard in discussion with industry.
Minimum 1 day of 6 learning hours
Purpose / Scope
The purpose of training delivered against this standard is to provide candidates with an introduction to Formwork and its associated risks to health and safety and environment.
The scope of this standard covers:
- Principles of Formwork and structures
- Striking methods and associated risks
- Applying different material types to finished concrete
- Common faults, hazards and mitigations, including different release agents
- Principles of holding down bolts
- Methods used to cover rebar
- Line, level and plumb tolerances
- Different support methods
- Environmental awareness.
Training delivered against this standard would be relevant to the following occupational groups:
- Operative and Craft
There are no candidate pre-requisites as part of this standard.
Instruction / Supervision
As a minimum, course instructors must be able to demonstrate that in relation to this standard they have:
- A train the trainer or instructional techniques course certificate
- Successfully completed training to this standard
- At least 2 years relevant industrial experience as a fitter
- A verifiable CV.
Delivery may be in an on or off the job environment.
The training requires a flat area of grass or concrete of minimum 12 -15 sq metres.
Materials and equipment should be of suitable quality and quantity for candidates to achieve learning outcomes and must comply with relevant legislation.
The class size and candidate/instructor ratio must allow training to be delivered in a safe manner and enable candidates to achieve the learning outcomes.
For the successful completion of training, the trainer will be required to make a declaration of the learner’s contribution during the course and that they are confident the learner has understood the content of the course.
Quality assurance against this standard will require initial approval of the training organisation and their content mapped to the standard.
CITB will also conduct an approval intervention, either desk-based or centre visit, to ensure the training organisation can meet the requirements of the Training Standard.
Approved training organisations will be required to present information on records of training and assessment upon request to CITB for desk based analysis. They will also be visited annually by the CITB quality assurance team.
Renewal / refresher
No renewal / refreshment requirements: There are no mandatory renewal or recommended refreshment requirements for this standard.
17 November 2018
Either on request or in 3 year(s) from approval date.
The candidate will be able to:
- Outline the principles of formwork and structures
- Describe striking methods and associated risks
- Describe how different material types are applied to finished concrete
- List common faults, hazards and mitigations including different release agents.
- Describe the principles of holding down bolts
- Describe methods used to attain correct cover for rebar
- List tolerances for line, level and plumb
- List different methods for supporting Formwork
- Identify environmental risks.