Fairness, inclusion and respect awareness
- Last updated: 14 October 2019
- Grant rate/tier: £30 (Tier 1)
- Grant code: GET2734
CITB has developed this standard in discussion with industry
Minimum half-day of three learning hours.
The purpose of this standard is to provide candidates with the knowledge relating to: equality and diversity.
The scope of this standard covers the following:
- Fairness, inclusion, respect, equality, diversity, bias,perceptions, expectations,stereotypes, personality, culture, values, consistency, transparency, sharing knowledge, collaboration, reputation, change, communication, and people skills
- Types of discrimination
- Individual and team behaviours at work
- The importance of equality and diversity
- Main standards, services, and legislation for equality and diversity.
Training delivered against this standard is relevant to the following occupational group(s):
Support and administrative
Operative and craft
Management and leadership.
There are no candidate pre-requisites as part of this standard.
As a minimum, course instructors must be able to demonstrate that, in relation to this standard, they have:
A Train the Trainer or instructional techniques course certificate
Successfully completed training to this standard
At least two years relevant industrial experience
The following methods may be used in the delivery of this standard:
A blend of classroom and e-learning
All materials and equipment must be of a suitable quality and quantity for candidates to achieve learning outcomes and must comply with relevant legislation.
The class size and candidate/instructor ratio must allow training to be delivered in a safe manner and enable candidates to achieve the learning outcomes.
This standard is considered to contain 51% or more theoretical learning.
This standard is set at a basic level.
For the successful completion of training, candidates must complete an end-of-course practical assessment or knowledge test that measures the learning outcomes and has a pass or fail criteria.
Quality assurance against this standard will require initial approval of the training organisation and their content mapped to the standard.
CITB will also conduct an approval intervention, either desk-based or centre visit, to ensure the training organisation can meet the requirements of the training standard.
Approved training organisations (ATOs) will be required to present information on records of training and assessment upon request to CITB for desk-based analysis.They will also be visited annually by the CITB quality assurance team.
Norenewal/refreshment requirements- there are no mandatory renewal or recommended refreshment requirements for this standard.
Three years from approval date or on request.
The candidate will be able to:
Additional guidance to support learning outcome
Describe the topics of equality and diversity
Describe the types and categories of discrimination and the different ways in which this may be carried out
To include the following categories;
for at least three of the following types of discrimination:
Give examples of positive individual,team and management attitudes and behaviour sto help ensure removal of discrimination at work
Using three of the followingtypes and categories:
Describe the value of equality and diversity to a construction company
Describe the main standards, services, and legislation for equality and diversity
To include consideration of:
and company policies including consideration of the following factors:
Reasonable adjustments for those protected by the Equality Act and potentially others to ensure inclusion of:
Equality and Human Rights Act 2010
- Guidance: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/equality-act-2010-guidance (External link - Opens in a new tab or window)
- The Act: www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/pdfs/ukpga_20100015_en.pdf (External link - Opens in a new tab or window)
- Human Rights Act 1998
Examples of other relevant legislation
- Civil Partnership Act 2004
- Marriage (same sex couples) Act 2013
- GenderRecognition Act 2004
- Protection from Harassment Act1997
- Rehabilitation ofOffenders Act 1974
- FlexibleWorkingRegulations 2006/2007/2009
- Equal Pay Act 1970
- Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service: http://www.acas.org.uk/
Equality and Human Rights Commissions
- England: https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en
- Scotland: https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/commission-scotland
- Wales: https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/commission-wales
- Diversity in the workplace: http://www.hse.gov.uk/diversity/index.htm
- ISO 44001 Collaborative business relationships management system.