CITB have developed this training standard in discussion with industry
Minimum 1 day of 6 learning hours.
The purpose of training delivered against this standard is to provide candidates with a practical introduction to the application of lime plastering for those undertaking lime repairs or refurbishment of traditional buildings.
The scope includes:
- A brief history of the use of lime
- Material source and types of lime
- Advantages and disadvantages of lime over cement
- Selection of sand and aggregates
- Specifying lime mortars, plasters and renders
- Hazards associated with the use of lime plaster and washes
Training delivered against this standard is relevant to the following occupational group(s):
- Operative and craft
There are no candidate pre-requisites as part of this standard. However a basic knowledge of plastering terminology and techniques would be beneficial.
As a minimum, course instructors must be able to demonstrate that, in relation to this standard, they have:
- A train the trainer or instructional techniques course certificate
- Successfully completed training to this standard
- At least 2 years relevant industrial experience
- A verifiable CV.
Delivery may be in an on or off the job environment.
All materials and equipment must be of a suitable quality and quantity for candidates to achieve learning outcomes, and must comply with relevant legislation.
The class size and candidate/instructor ratio must allow training to be delivered in a safe manner and enable candidates to achieve the learning outcomes.
For the successful completion of training, the trainer will be required to make a declaration of the learner’s contribution during the course and that they are confident the learner has understood the content of the course.
Quality assurance against this standard will require initial approval of the training organisation and their content mapped to the standard.
CITB will also conduct an approval intervention, either desk-based or centre visit, to ensure the training organisation can meet the requirements of the training standard.
Approved training organisations will be required to present information on records of training and assessment upon request to CITB for desk based analysis. They will also be visited annually by the CITB quality assurance team.
There are no mandatory renewal or recommended refreshment requirements for this standard.
17th November 2017
Either on request or in 3 years from approval date.
The candidate will be able to:
- Discuss the historical use of lime as mortars/plasters/renders.
- Identify the hazards associated with the use of lime plaster and washes.
- Describe where lime is sourced and the types of lime used for plaster.
- List the advantages and disadvantages of lime over cement.
- Describe the types of sand and aggregates used with lime to create lime mortars/renders/plasters.
- Identify the general principles of specifying lime mortars, plasters and renders.
- Mix lime mortars and render/plaster coats.
- Prepare and apply haired lime plaster onto a small lathed area.