The CITB Grants Scheme provides grants for employers in the construction industry to train their workers.
The scheme helps to maintain health and safety standards on construction sites and to ensure the right skills are available for the industry to grow.
Who can apply for a grant
You can apply for grants if you are an employer registered with CITB and you send a correctly completed Levy Return to CITB by 30 November each year. Small employers that don’t need to pay the levy can still apply for grants.
Grants aren’t paid to individual employees. If you are an employee, you can ask your employer if they are registered with CITB so they can get a grant for your training.
How grants work
Grants are for training and qualifications completed in the Grants Scheme year (1 April of this year to 31 March of the next year).
You apply for Short course grants and Qualification grants after your employee finishes their training or gains their qualification.
Grants for apprenticeships and longer period qualifications work slightly differently: you can apply for a grant for your learner's training as soon their training starts - you don’t need to wait for the apprenticeship or qualification to end.
The Grants Scheme principles
The Scheme follows these principles:
- Encourage training specifically related to the construction industry.
- Alignment to CITB’s Scope Order.
- Focus grants to support employers training their workforce to industry-agreed standards, so that skills achieved are universally recognised and portable.
- Supports all Levy-registered employers and their full sub-contractor workforce, delivering skills across the whole supply chain.
- Use targeted funding to support industry priorities, and enhance support for the areas where the need is greatest.
- Prioritise investment in areas where there is a long-term commitment and return on investment.
How to apply for a grant
Each grant has slightly different rules. You can find information about how to apply on the individual grant pages.
When you receive your grant
You usually receive your grant money within four weeks of submitting an application, if it is successful. Grants are paid by bank transfer.
If we do not hold your current bank details, please complete and submit the secure online Bacs Direct Credit Authorisation Form to receive grant payments.
Help and more information
If you would like to discuss your grant options, contact our customer services team on 0344 994 4455 or email email@example.com.
Terms and conditions
The Grants Scheme terms and conditions answer more questions about who can or can’t apply. Before you apply, make sure you've read and understood the terms and conditions.
Have you signed up to CITB Grants Online?
By signing up to CITB online you can:
- see your grant statement
- request a grant report
- authorise grant claims
Already have an account? You can log in now.