Skills and Training fund for medium-sized construction businesses
What this fund is for
The Skills and Training fund aims to enable medium-sized construction companies (with up to 250 directly employed staff) to improve their training programme so that it meets the more complex needs of a developing business. This can include management and leadership training, helping you unlock growth through new technology or introducing new skills to improve productivity in your business. Please refer to the Guidance Notes (PDF, 187KB) for further details.
Please note, in order to manage a significant reduction in the budget available to support these funds in 2020/21, it will only be possible to support the top scoring applications each month. In order to maximise your chance of success please read the guidance notes carefully, fully answer all questions and do not exceed your funding allowance.
Who can apply for funding
You can apply if:
- you are a CITB-registered employer
- you have between 100 and 250 directly-employed staff on the payroll
- any previous project paid for by the Skills and Training fund has been signed off as complete.
You can apply for funding once every 12 months.
How much you can apply for
CITB-registered employers can apply for funding related to how many direct employees they have.
- Employers with between 100 and 149 directly-employed staff can receive up to £15,000.
- Employers with between 150 and 199 directly-employed staff can receive up to £20,000.
- Employers with between 200 and 250 directly-employed staff can receive up to £25,000.
Before you apply
Make sure you've read and understood these documents
- Terms of funding for Skills and Training fund
- Terms of bidding for Skills and Training fund
- Guidance notes (PDF 193KB)
You can also discuss your application with your local CITB Adviser, who will be happy to assist and ensure your application form has been completed correctly and all of the questions have been answered clearly e.g. Value for Money & Quality.
How to apply
Please complete the Skills and Training application form (Excel, 281KB)
To complete and submit the form, you should:
- Download the application form and save it to your computer
- Complete all fields, saving regularly along the way to prevent loss of data
- Save and send the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
What happens next?
The Skills and Training team will review and score all applications at the end of each submission window (typically at the end of each calendar month).
You should receive a decision from us (by email) around the 15th of the month after your application was submitted e.g. if you apply any time during the month of July you will have an decision from us around 15 August. We would appreciate if you did not chase a response within this period and we will inform everyone as soon as possible.
CITB will review and score all applications against the fund criteria (as set out in the Guidance Notes). The top scoring applications from each month will be approved for funding.
Approved: Your application meets the Skills & Training fund criteria and will be processed for payment.
Declined: Based on the information supplied your application has not scored highly enough or does not meet the criteria for Skills and Training Fund. Where it does not meet the criteria, this could be for a variety of reasons, such as:
- you have not submitted a levy return
- you are behind on your levy payments
- you have not supplied enough information
- you are asking for courses or activity that are outside the fund criteria.
We will advise you clearly why we have declined your application or will communicate this via your local CITB Adviser. You can re-submit an improved application in future months but only the top scoring applications from each month will be approved for funding.
After the funding payment has been approved you can start your training project. Please remember to keep evidence of all invoices and certificates as you will need to submit these to CITB to demonstrate that the training has taken place.
Once all of the training has finished you will be required to return a completion form along with the necessary evidence to CITB email@example.com within 28 days of your project end date. If you are experiencing challenges with you training programme, please contact us to request a 6 month extension.
We understand that business needs and circumstances can change. Please contact us as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can discuss alternative arrangements with you. This could result in the money being returned or agreeing to a new training schedule.
We may wish to publish details of your project on our website once funding has been approved.
We may ask to work with you to develop press releases, case studies or promotional videos relating to your project either during delivery, or upon completion.