Construction operative apprenticeship course
Duration: 18 months
Structure: 16 weeks training
Date: See How to apply below
Funding: See Funding below
This apprenticeship course is for people who want to gain an academic qualification in construction operation while gaining professional experience.
You’ll learn how to place concrete to the correct level, lay drainage and pavements, place street iron works and excavate holes and trenches.
You’ll also master the construction skills you need to become a construction operative in the tunnelling and underground construction industry.
The course includes practical training in the following:
- Working in a construction or tunnel construction environment
- Levelling and setting out
- Construction tunnels
- Laying Drainage and mixing / pouring concrete
- Knowledge of formwork including steelfixing, concrete placing, compacting and finishes.
Plus training in Construction Technology, including
- Interpreting information
- Estimating resources
- Basic building methods
- Building elements
- Building materials.
You’ll also gain competence in:
- Employment responsibilities and rights
- CSCS Training and CITB ConstructionSkills Health, safety and environment test
- Drug and alcohol awareness
- Mobile towers
- Fire fighting
- Safe use of ladders
- Manual handling (certified)
- Abrasive wheels (certified)
- Safe use of plant and tools
- Kerb laying.
Teaching and assessment
18 months: (16 weeks in training).
Qualifications you gain
- Level 2 Construction Diploma in Construction Operations
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Construction Operations
- Level 1 Functional Skills
- Employment Responsibilities and Rights
- CSCS Card (Basic Site Skills)
- You may also gain value-added qualifications in first aid and health and safety, along with other industry-specific subjects.
No formal requirements, but it’s useful to have GCSE grades A*-C in English and maths.
To help us assess your suitability for the course, you'll need to:
- Complete a Skills Learning exercise, and may need to attend the college for further tests.
- Physical fitness
- Practical skills
- The ability to work in confined spaces or at height
You will be paid while you learn.
The following CITB grants are available for employers to fund their apprentices on this course:
If you applied for your apprenticeship through the Education and Skills Funding Agency, only applicants aged between 16 and 18 who have not been placed on a training scheme before are guaranteed full funding.
How to apply
Call 0300 456 5037 or email email@example.com for course dates and how to apply.
After this course
You can be assessed for higher NVQs at the National Construction College. We provide details to all trainees.