CITB has developed this standard in discussion with industry.
Minimum 2 days of 6 learning hours per day
Purpose / Scope
This standard is about applying coatings by airless spray equipment including assembling, setting up, using, cleaning out and maintaining the airless spray equipment.
The scope covers:
- demonstration of work skills to prepare, load, protect, communicate, measure, assemble, position, secure and clean
- use and maintain hand tools and portable power tools, airless spray equipment and ancillary equipment
- set up and adjust spray equipment to achieve the finish stated in the given working instructions, relating to the following
- preparation of coatings
- loading the system
- monitor and maintain supply
- apply water-borne coatings using airless spray equipment
Training delivered against this standard would be relevant to the following occupational groups:
- operative and craft
There are no candidate pre-requisites as part of this standard. However, a basic knowledge of painting terminlogy and techniques would be beneficial.
Instruction / supervision
As a minimum, course instructors must be able to demonstrate that in relation to this standard they have:
- A train the trainer or instructional techniques course certificate
- Successfully completed training to this standard
- At least 2 years relevant industrial experience
Delivery may be in an on or off the job environment.
All materials and equipment should be of suitable quality and quantity for candidates to achieve learning outcomes and must comply with relevant legislation.
The class size and candidate/instructor ratio must allow training to be delivered in a safe manner and enable candidates to achieve the learning outcomes.
The following delivery methods may/may not be used in the delivery of this standard:
- a blend of classroom and workshop
This standard is considered to contain 51 per cent or more practical learning.
For the successful completion of training, the trainer must be satisfied that the candidate has achieved all of the learning outcomes.
Approved training organisations (ATOs) will be required to present information on records of training and assessment upon request to CITB for desk-based analysis. They will also be visited annually by the CITB quality assurance team.
Renewal / refresher
Non mandatory refresher every 5 years
Either on request or in 3 year(s) from approval date.
The candidate will be able to:
- check suitability of previously decorated and or prepared surfaces
- provide protection by sheeting, masking and removing items
- select and assemble component parts to produce form airless paint spraying equipment
- prepare and apply water bourne coatings
- load, operate, maintain (during use) and monitor the paint spray equipment
- establish air-change requirements in confined areas
- assemble, set up, operate and shut down spray equipment
- use correct spray gun techniques on broad areas, angles, linear items and complex structural features
- implement safety procedures to protect operatives and the general public
Additional information about this standard
Contact trade organisations for more information:
This standard is covered by National Occupational Standard COSVR336