Hazards, risks, and controls of tools and equipment including:
- earth leakage protection (residual current device), hot parts, dust, vibration, noise, vision, sharp edges, extension and power leads (connectors, trips and testing), chemicals, hot work permits
Example of risk assessment
SDS sheets for chemicals
Harness with lanyard & shock absorber
Sample hot work permit
How to safely set up, use, maintain, check, and store tools & equipment including:
- mechanical fixing tools: hammer drills, cordless drills, screw guns, nut setters, accessories, drill bits, hole saws, and induction welders. including how to set and use the clutch and depth setting for power drills.
- welding tools: hand hot air tools, hot air automatic welders, wide slot nozzles, screwdrivers, wire brushes, one arm silicon white/blue tape pressure rollers, metal alloy pressure rollers, lap sealant, and transformers.
- solvent welding tools: solvent bottle & brush, and lap sealant bottle & nozzle.
- adhered membranes tools: water-filled rollers, soft rollers, trays, and trigger canisters.
- sundry tools and equipment: chalk lining, chamfer knives, hammers, saws, chisels, tape measure, trimming knives, levels, tin snips, broom, sealant gun, and screwdrivers.
- mechanical equipment: hoists, scabblers, grinders, bitumen heaters, gas torches.
- access equipment: fixed scaffold with ladder/steps, moveable tower scaffold with internal ladder, edge protection, internal stairs, and tied ladders.
- safety equipment: edge protection, access scaffolding, access platforms, accident record book, hard hat, gloves, eyewear, ear defenders, wrist band protector, footwear, hi-visibility, coveralls, roof anchors, and harness with lanyard & shock absorber.
- emergency equipment: fire extinguisher (foam/powder), bucket of sand/water, first-aid equipment, radio/phone communications.
Actual tools and equipment
Photos/illustrations/videos of how to: set up, use, check, maintain and store
How to quarantine damaged or broken tools and equipment
Manufacturer’s operating and maintenance manuals and sales brochures
Good and bad practice
List the main types of information for safe working
Safety legislation (H&SAWA, COSHH, PUWER, LOLER, Work at Height), HSE guidance, manufacturer’s documents, British/EN/ISO Standards, codes of practice, association guidance, building regulations, SDS sheets, company procedures, risk assessments