CITB have developed this training standard in discussion with industry
Minimum 2 days of 6 learning hours.
The purpose of training delivered against this standard is to provide candidates with the knowledge and skills to perform a roof survey prior to repair, renewal or refurbishment.
The scope includes:
- Safely performing a roof survey
- The need to perform roof surveys
- Basic roof construction and composition
- Typical roof survey inspection methods, for example: thermal imaging, electronic leak detection, rainwater outlet testing, rainfall simulation
Training delivered against this standard is relevant to the following occupational group(s):
- Operative and craft
- Management and leadership.
There are no candidate pre-requisites as part of this standard. However, a basic knowledge of roofing terminology and techniques would be beneficial.
As a minimum, course instructors must be able to demonstrate that, in relation to this standard, they have:
- A train the trainer or instructional techniques course certificate
- Successfully completed training to this standard
- At least 2 years relevant industrial experience
- A verifiable CV.
Delivery may be in an on or off the job environment.
All materials and equipment must be of a suitable quality and quantity for candidates to achieve learning outcomes, and must comply with relevant legislation.
The class size and candidate/instructor ratio must allow training to be delivered in a safe manner and enable candidates to achieve the learning outcomes.
For the successful completion of training, the trainer will be required to make a declaration of the learner’s contribution during the course and that they are confident the learner has understood the content of the course.
Quality assurance against this standard will require initial approval of the training organisation and their content mapped to the standard.
CITB will also conduct an approval intervention, either desk-based or centre visit, to ensure the training organisation can meet the requirements of the training standard.
Approved training organisations will be required to present information on records of training and assessment upon request to CITB for desk based analysis. They will also be visited annually by the CITB quality assurance team.
There are no mandatory renewal or recommended refreshment requirements for this standard.
17th November 2017
Either on request or in 3 years from approval date.
The candidate will be able to:
- Discuss the hazards and risks associated with carrying out roof surveys and the precautions to be observed. For further information see HSE downloadable publication Health and safety in roof work
- Identify the need to perform roof surveys.
- Describe basic roof construction and composition.
- Perform a range of roof inspection methods and techniques.