Matching construction theory with practice
Training and development
Careers and recruitment
WRW Constuction Ltd.
Bouygyes UK; Reed Constuction Ltd; Wynne Construction Ltd; Construction Wales Innovation Centre; Chartered Institute of Building; Aspire2Be Ltd.
Specialist, Housing, Commercial, Infrastructure
The project has three key threads, addressing directly the school, FE and HE sectors.
In partnership with Microsoft, the first thread targeting primary school teachers will use the Minecraft Virtual construction scenario to stimulate and encourage school-age children to consider careers in the built environment. Strong support from Microsoft will lead to UK-wide Minecraft ‘clubs’ creating a nationwide exposure to STEM and the construction industry in particular.
A second thread will establish two fixed site ‘hub’ facilities enabling practical reinforcement and integration with students’ learning experience.
A third thread will implement a mobile facility to enable cost-effective engagement over a wider geographical area from each hub. Each mobile unit will provide typically three-day events based in FE/HE institutions.
- Creation of 2 mobile experiential learning units and 2 hub sites
- Delivery of 156 primary school trainer days and 6 primary training events totalling 280 beneficiaries (primary school educators)
- Delivery of 110 experiential learning events to secondary school students (63 mobile and 47 hub), totalling 1104 beneficiaries
- Creation of 90 technical and professional work experience opportunities
- Delivery of 260 post compulsory education experiential learning events, totalling 3120 beneficiaries
- Marketing video for use on Go Construct
- Final project report (separate from Business Sustainability Plan).
01 Nov 2018
15 Dec 2021
- Best Practice in Experiential learning (PDF 329KB)
- Go Construct: Experience (Minecraft) video on YouTube (duration 2 minutes 21 seconds)
- Lesson 1 (Powerpoint, 15MB)
- Lesson 1 - Student handout (PDF, 756KB)
- Lesson 2 (Powerpoint, 20MB)
- Lesson 2 - Student handout (PDF, 755KB)
- Lesson 3 (Powerpoint, 25MB)
- Lesson 3 - Student handout (PDF, 767KB)
- Lesson 4 (Powerpoint, 17MB)
- Lesson 4 - Student handout (PDF, 760KB)
- Lesson 5 (Powerpoint, 13MB)
- Lesson 5 - Student handout (PDF, 689KB)